Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason M
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played last night (my second game, my opponent's first) with Pandas, Macaws and Squirrels, and the Stock Clearance card came up pretty early. And it stayed there until I grabbed it just to use it as a 5. The purpose of the card, or the strategy behind it, was unclear to us, so we just didn't bother with it:
"When you use this card to purchase, you may overpay as much as you want."

What is the strategy to overpaying? Is it just to get cards out of your hand so you can redraw more and cycle cards faster, or is there something else to it that we're not seeing? I looked through the rulebook to see if there was any listed advantage to overpaying, but the rulebook only specifies that you cannot overpay in all situations, which we completely understood.

I'll be introducing new people to this game within the week, and I want to have a solid answer if the card comes up and they ask about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roni Jaakkola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
Hey there, nice to meet you! @Nashtanir in Twitter
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's only for cycling your deck faster. You might have some cards in your hand you want to get rid of and this card is quite good at doing that. Also see that it says "you may" which leaves it up to you. At least I have not found any other major usage for it. However, I personally love mechanics (played tons of Dominion) that allow you to cycle through your deck a lot faster and thus keeping your deck smaller than it actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zerothefool wrote:
We played last night (my second game, my opponent's first) with Pandas, Macaws and Squirrels, and the Stock Clearance card came up pretty early. And it stayed there until I grabbed it just to use it as a 5. The purpose of the card, or the strategy behind it, was unclear to us, so we just didn't bother with it:
"When you use this card to purchase, you may overpay as much as you want."

What is the strategy to overpaying? Is it just to get cards out of your hand so you can redraw more and cycle cards faster, or is there something else to it that we're not seeing? I looked through the rulebook to see if there was any listed advantage to overpaying, but the rulebook only specifies that you cannot overpay in all situations, which we completely understood.

I'll be introducing new people to this game within the week, and I want to have a solid answer if the card comes up and they ask about it.
Great way to cycle Junk through your hand and get a higher point density or more useful Techniques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Nashtanir's and mccripsy's answers are spot on. Usually you have plenty of junk in your hand that you can cycle with this. Sometimes I even end up paying with additional animalfolk cards, because I know that I have cards in my deck that I want faster to my hand. Other use is to dump your valuable cards to your discard, if you know that your opponent has some nasty Raccoon or Ocelote cards that can target your hand. It synergizes with other cards as well that require some cards in your discard like Squirrel 3 (Nostalgic Item).

I fully understand that Panda 5 (Stock Clearance) isn't the most obivious in how to utilise it for new players. I hope this and previous answers clear things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, that pretty much clarifies it, and it's just what I was thinking. I guess I wasn't seeing the value of it at the time because I'd already bought a couple of the cards that let you throw away any Junk used to purchase it, and I had very little Junk remaining. Actually, the last few rounds of the game, I only had 8 cards to my name. Cycling my deck was not a problem, lol.

I appreciate all of your responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different cards have different strengths and weaknesses depending on your current deck and the strategy you're going for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liuhuparta wrote:
Different cards have different strengths and weaknesses depending on your current deck and the strategy you're going for.
And that, my friends, is one of the things that make this game so good: lots of variability in a very compact game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.