2 Posts

Shadowrift: Archfiends» Forums » General

Subject: Best scenario for first Archfiends game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
Since getting Shadowrift from the Archfiends kickstarter, we've played through most of the original game and are ready to try Archfiends. What is the best setup for our first game? I will be playing a two player game, and I would like the highest probability of winning to start out with (I don't mind a cakewalk, but I doubt that is possible -- these guys look tough!)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you're trying to give yourself good odds, I recommend using cards with great synergy.
I recommend facing the Fire Dragons.
Loot: Shining Blade and Elixir of Life
Attacks: Thieving Strike and Spear Volley
Skills: Brawler and Holy Aura
Actions: Prophecy and Heal

This setup is one of the easiest in the game, because that toolbox has got everything covered. Because both of the attacks can avoid Wounds, your primary purpose for Holy Aura will be keeping Burns from causing Wounds. The Prophecy-Heal combo isn't as powerful in a 2-player game as a 4, but it's still solid. For Dragons specifically you may be better off swapping Brawler for Armor of Mist.

Be warned, though: Because 2-player is almost uniformly easier than larger player counts, Archfiends was designed to increase the difficulty on lower player counts by a higher degree.

I'll tell you now: The key to winning 2-player Archfiends against the Fire Dragons is figuring out how to spend your Coin. Making the right decision between walls, loot, exploration, and burn removal - with which of the four is "the right decision" changing from turn to turn - is your best shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.