Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching this game to my gaming group I never ended up pulling out the Codenames Gadget App to use as a timer because people kept jumping in and out of the game and I didn't think it fair to put time pressure on newbies learning the game.

Haven't had a chance to play the game again since unfortunately, but I would like to hear about how the app timer enhances/deters/alters gameplay. I like the idea that it would push the game along and force quick-wittedness for both spymasters and operatives. Not to mention, more hilarious blunders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it was a game changer. Forced the spymasters to pay attention, forced them to plan for the next clue, forced them to occasionally pick a 1 clue because they couldn't come up with a 2 fast enough. Made it way more tense, and let us get through more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pvt are you using the app without timer? I couldn't tell from your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I didn't use the app at all, or the included sand timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pvtparts wrote:
No, I didn't use the app at all, or the included sand timer.

Well the app is great even without the timer in my opinion. I haven't used the grid cards yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I prefer games where depth of thinking outweighs quickness of thinking. (It's why I hate most online gaming, shoot-em ups, etc.)
2. I think a game should reward cleverness over quickness; skill over speed.
3. I play games to relax, not to get tense - so don't care for a timer.
4. However, I hate games that drag because a person takes forever to make a move.
4. So - my group is okay with a timer as long as the timer doesn't rush people, but does keep the game moving at a reasonable pace. I'm not sure how long that is (the 'reasonable' pace) in Codenames. We haven't used a timer yet. We prefer the Spymasters to conceive ingenious clues, which for our group is more fun than the tension of a ticking clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
1. I prefer games where depth of thinking outweighs quickness of thinking. (It's why I hate most online gaming, shoot-em ups, etc.)
4. However, I hate games that drag because a person takes forever to make a move.
4. So - my group is okay with a timer as long as the timer doesn't rush people, but does keep the game moving at a reasonable pace. I'm not sure how long that is (the 'reasonable' pace) in Codenames. We haven't used a timer yet. We prefer the Spymasters to conceive ingenious clues, which for our group is more fun than the tension of a ticking clock.

In the app you can do a "relaxing game" (that is the setting in the app) of 5 mins for spymaster and 5 mins for operative each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:

I agree with you. In my group, almost the only use of the timer has been a Spymaster using it on his own team! I've done it twice - they weren't just taking too long, they were massively over-thinking. They had already correctly identified the words I'd clued but were too timid to pick them. Setting the timer forced them to choose - and they chose right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nelson
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the awesome things about the app is that it can use your accelerometer to reveal/hide the answer grid. If you lay it flat, it hides that information but still allows everyone to see whose turn it is and the duration that is left. Then lifting it to more than a 45 degree angle shows the clues.

I know it's a little thing, but it just fascinates me how intuitive that feature really is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.