Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I read that the new 2nd ed counters are/may be available separately. But where? Jump to the bottom to get to the point.

I own the 1st ed and just got around to informing myself of the changes brought by the 2nd edition. I read all the BGG threads wrt this subject, and the Inside GMT article here: http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=1550

So I wringed my hands for a while over springing for the 2nd edition. I.e., I realize the changes on the map are 99% cosmetic, but hell, I like even cosmetic changes! Despite, as it stands now I've decided to stick with the 1st edition and take advantage of the new charts and rules downloaded from the GMT website. But ONLY IF...

Only if I can also get my hands on the new counters. I understand there are changes to the 2nd edition counters even beyond those which were in C3i a couple years ago.

Where am I going with this?

In the comments section of the aforementioned article linked above, Mark responded to a comment by writing:
"In a way GMT does provide an update kit for Normandy ’44. You can buy the counters from GMT and download all the rules and charts for free." (July '15)

So I looked for the counters he mentioned. I can't find them listed separately on the GMT website. I don't mind purchasing them, of course. And I would if I could find them to purchase. Does anyone know of a link, or is he talking about (only) releasing them in a [new] C3i issue?

If the new counters are NOT available separately, then I'm back to wringing my hands!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Cark
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using the Chat feature at the GMT website. They should be able to tell you if they have counters available for sale. http://www.gmtgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, did that.

But curse you, for giving me reason to visit GMT's website after being a "good boy" and resisting its temptation for so long. Within 30 minutes after checking it out I fell off the wagon. No more than two hours later I had two games ordered and three more put on my immediate "to buy" list! Oh, and then I asked them about the N '44 counters - as an afterthought!

Now I have to come up with a reason to get my wife out of the house when the UPS guy shows up.

Curse you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Like the above I have and wanted to upgrade my 1st edition.

I printed off the 2nd edition CRT; German OOB; purchased a copy of the 2nd edition Allied in Britain card (which for some reason was not posted by GMT)& the 1st counter sheet (Germans).

However, GMT do not have any 2nd counter sheet (Allied) in stock (and not sure if they will).

I am therefore still after the specs for the two new Allied units, the M5 tank battalion & the US 99th Independent battalion, which "replace" the 3 US TD battalions removed from the OOB.

Would any be willing please to post an image of the front and back of these two counters please?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me see if I can get front + back scans of all the new countersheets and post them here (I'll ask Mark for permission...but usually GMT is pretty good about that).

FYI, if there is a 2nd edition vassal module, you can also download that...it will have all the stats + graphics for the new counters, too.

-K

Developer N'44 (1st edition); co-developer N'44 (2nd edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jury wrote:
However, GMT do not have any 2nd counter sheet (Allied) in stock (and not sure if they will).

Yeah, that's the same response I got from GMT as well. ... only one of the two 2nd ed counter sheets is available. So without being able to get both, I'm not sure what I`m going to do yet. Almost tempted to buy a whole new game, but that doesn't seem right.

I would think they'd offer an upgrade kit for 1st edition owners. That'd be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated Kevin.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter,

Actually, the 2014 2nd Edition countersheets are already uploaded here at BGG...sorry, did not see that before!

Just go to the images and they should be on the first page of images (both countersheets, front and back of each). Let me know if you have problems, as Mark sent me a copy of the final proofs...so I can email them to you directly if you have problems getting them from BGG (or need a higher resolution).

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin.
I did have a quick look at the posted images but the countersheets Insaw were all 2010 edition. Sorry about that.

I have had a look and now also have the In Britain Card, second edition so Inhave the front of the three new counters; 744 tank battalion, 759 tank battalion, and the 99 infantry battalion.

The front of the posted counter sheet is a little blurred so I cannot see the exact placement of the 759 & 744 but looking at the back of the posted counter sheet it seems all three may in fact be 1 step units with nothing on the back of heir counters? If so I am set as I have the front, if I have misread it, then yes if you could send the proofs that would be great thanks.

Again thanks for taking the time to help with this, very much appreciated.
Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks Kevin.

All done; I am now "upgraded" to 2nd edition, map aside!

The three new Allied units (tank battalions 744 & 759 and infantry battalion 99)are all 1 step units, so your fine if you have the front image or the
In Britain card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Peter, I'm in the same boat, and as mentioned above am considering simply buying the new edition. So I'm curious, how did you take advantage of the images kindly provided by Kevin to complete your "upgrade"?

I suppose you compared the imaged countersheets to your physical counters and marked changes on your physical counters? Aren't there a few extra counters with the new edition? (Don't know really - I thought I heard that somewhere, is all).

Also I thought I saw a list of all the changes - to the rules, to the counters, and to the map. The changes to the rules are easy enough to download... but the changes to the counters and the map... I'll search for those... pretty sure I saw them here in BGG.

Is that how you did it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think a full itemized listing of changes to the map + counters is available, unless someone outside the development team did it.

I was going to work with Mark on this, but 'real life' simply got in the way and there were more pressing projects that needed our time and energy. Ultimately it was decided that we had missed the opportunity to do this easily (tracking AS the changes were being made) and left it as that.

If someone does go through the time + work to compare the counters + map of the two editions, it would certainly be appreciated (and if sent to me or Mark, we would be happy to post it on CSW in the header)...but there is no plan for us to do this...

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.