Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Salutations, I have a question for those of you that travel abroad or relocate often. I am moving to the Netherlands from the USA in March and I am packing up my collection. Do any of you have some packaging tips or suggestions? Of course I want my items to arrive without damage and abuse. But, chances are the shipping company won't care about my prized collection as much as I do. Does anyone have a reputable shipping company they can suggest? What do most folks do when traveling to Essen, Germany in October or other international gaming events? I have just recently been getting involved with the forums here on boardgamegeek and I must say I have really enjoyed the threads I have read so far or at least enough to warrant this post. I hope it's not too far off topic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
i will be interested about this because when i move back to australia i have to take my games with me. so far i only have 8 here but still its more than i brought with me.

how many games do you own?

my plan is to see how much many different companies cost and see how much it would be to take them in a box and padding it with the polybeans on my flight home. i will find the cheapest way to do it. i would recommend getting the games insured. as if the game gets damaged you can get money for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have a pretty large collection as I have been enjoying the hobby since childhood and have tried to keep them in good condition. Most of my collection is listed in my profile here, though I will be transporting a lot of painted lead/pewter as well. Sigh if I could only take it all on the plane with me. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
wow looks like you will have to pay lots of money for it. are you moving permantly? or is it a couple of years thing? and are you taking alot of other stuff with you too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Waters
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A moving company moved my collection 2 months ago. They had a form to declare high value items (more than $100/pound). I listed boardgames among them and they did a great job. Every box had more paper than games - no damage I could find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through 20 years of moving while in the military.

1. Don't tape the box lids down. The tape will be like malaria. It will come back to haunt you again and again.

2. Use plastic bags to control the game pieces. DO NOT leave them loose in the box. They will go missing.

3. Forget about having pristene boxes. They will get damaged.

4. Keep a good inventory for insurance purposes.

5. You may want to finish filling up the boxes with peanuts or other type fillers like clothing to help keep the game boxes from being crushed.

6. Pack your own shipping boxes with games. Try to completely fill the voids to keep the shipping box from being crushed.

7. I have recently purchased some plastic tubs to put my games in case of flooding. You might consider going to Home Depot (or other DIY type store) and use these for shipping your games. I would tape these lids down. I have three different sizes. I have two huge ones to store games not played, 3 medium sized ones and 6 smaller sized ones. The small ones are reasonable for hand carrying one or two if you are in for some heavy gaming. The medium one is two large for a one-man carry and the huge ones are plain heavy. All these should still be put into shipping boxes in case of an accidental opening (like getting turned upside down and nothing to hold the lid on).

8. Something learned in Germany. Provide refreshments, snacks and maybe lunch to the packing crew. Give them the remnants of open booze bottles and maybe a beer or two each AFTER the job is finished properly as a gift. Except for the two Russians that packed the basement, my Germany to USA moves were perfect. NOTE that I did not say that my USA to overseas moves were perfect. Europeans tend to specialize in jobs where US of A'ns tend to look at the moving industry as blue collar job and they tend to not care much about your stuff. Make them your friends and talk about how your games (and other particular items) are special to you and hopefully they will give your things a good packing.

Good Luck (viel Glueck)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gehrig
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you have a game that has pieces in trays but, there might not be enough room leftover for plastic bags, I'd suggest using cling wrap (saran wrap). It forms a nice barrier and will keep everything in the trays.

For pewter miniatures, the best packing would be to use foam inserts. (Which you might store them in anyways).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most of the ideas so far. Other thoughts based on how Adam-Spielt does it for shipping:

- Pack a set of games in a small box (Book size is typically 1 ft x 1 ft x 1.5 ft.) so that they will not rattle around and with a piece of paper between each box. Then pack THAT box into a middle size box, with lots of packing material on all 6 sides of it. That will help you keep your boxes in good shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the packaging suggestions. That gives me some ideas for sure. Any recommendations for handling companies from USA to EU?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.