Rummikub» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review: Is this game any good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I have played this game on numerous occasions. And i seem to always ask myself, "why am I playing this game?". In this review i will tell you why I have come to not like this game at all.

I have only been playing this game for about a year now. Which isnt long at all. Especially compared to my girlfriends mum who has been playing it since the 80's. My girlfriend kept telling me about it so when I saw it in he shops I bought it for her. At first I found it quite interesting, but the more i played it the more i saw all the negative aspects of the game.

For those who havent played this game it is a game of 2 - 4 players, where you lay tiles. There are four different colours with 2 of each number from 1 to 13 and 2 jokers. You start off with 13 tiles and your aim in the game is to rid all of your tiles, pretty simple game. Probably the down fall of the game in my opinion.

This game can be really fast or painfully slow. Most of the games i have played have been the later. What I have found is when you play seasoned Rummikub players is they will look for absolutly every possibility. Which is painful to play against especially if they take 5 - 10 minutes to finally only put one more tile down than before. To me this is a huge put off, but I can not say this will happen to everyone this is a great variable factor depending on who you actually play.

There is alot of luck in this game. I have no problem with luck in games, but this game seems to have way too much in it. You could win the game on your first turn if all your tiles can be put down. Or you can sit the whole game waiting for a single tile to allow you start the game. This is a very frustrating aspect of the game, but if you enjoy these taypes of games this game is perfect for you.

In this game i would say the optimum player level is 3. 2 players turns into a stalemate with each player waiting for the other to start while just picking up tiles till they are all gone. 4 player games for me have seemed to drag on, again this could just be due to the players i have played with. 3 players just seems to have the right balance, its not too long and theres not this stalemate that happens.

The game is not complex, which to me is the greatest downfall. Dont get me wrong, there are places for light games and i do enjoy a few. But in saying that this game after a few plays becomes so light you start playing in auto pilot, theres no thinking involved. Theres only 2 tactics to be played play a tile or dont play a tile. While the aim of the game is to have no tiles, the first is kind of silly to do, but sometimes it has its place.

I used to enjoy playing this game at the beginning, but with more and more games it just became way too easy. I often refuse to play this game nowdays because of this.

I would recommend this for kids. It is great for learning numbers and pattern recognition. But for anyone who enjoys a challenge in their gaming should steer clear of this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ritter
United States
Westfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osama Bin Davis wrote:
Which is painful to play against especially if they take 5 - 10 minutes to finally only put one more tile down than before. To me this is a huge put off, but I can not say this will happen to everyone this is a great variable factor depending on who you actually play.

I agree. This game does get a bit tedious. I'd recommend a timer for the turns. We started to use a timer as the game would wind up stalling (like you said) while one player ran through multiple iterations in their head only to lay one tile down. Very frustrating.

To mirror your other comment on good for kids, my 8 y/o enjoys it (as does my 83 y/o grandmother). So, its a decent game in that it bridges the generation gaps. Although, I'm not busting this out on game night with my fellow geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
that might be a good idea. but i dont know if i will play it anytime soon.

btw thank you for taking the time to read this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What strikes me as odd is why people even buy this.

My parents used to play a variant of Rummy with friends in the early seventies (way before Rummikub was released) with 2 decks of plain cards. So with almost the same amount of cards for parts (aces high)

I used to play it this way in highschool as well. So I never saw a reason to buy this since there's always 2 decks of cards laying around somewhere.

But I admit that holding a whole bunch of cards can be problematic. Nowadays there's cardholders for that issue. Too late for me though, I lost all interest in this game throughout the years.snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
If your girlfriend likes this game but you want something that isn't crap, you really should try out mahjong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
jar011 wrote:
I agree. This game does get a bit tedious. I'd recommend a timer for the turns.

The tournament rules say to use a timer. We usually use a 30- or 60-second timer. It makes all the difference in the world.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Borg
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Rummikub, can yuou have 2 jokers in a meld???
hi,
can you have 2 jokers in a meld?

thanks kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the moving around of melds, you might enjoy SPLIT, which has a similar mechanic.
and yes, use a timer for turns.
no 2 jokers per meld, depending on ruleset. house rules allow for it aplenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I find this game quite fun. We use a timer for the turns. That cuts back on the eternity turn taking. What really helps us to enjoy the game is our sense of collaboration about it. The part that makes it fun for all is that we spend time in helping each other find tile placements.

It is a cool game given the right partners and atmosphere. If I had been playing this with a group of cut-throat gamers bent on winning I can see that it could get tedious and trying. But in our group we are more interested in the process and mechanics.

As a final note...we followed this game up with a cut-throat session of Sucking Vacuum. You know...four people...two space suits...one escape pod! Get the picture! That was cathartic for our more competitive sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.