Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » Rules

Subject: Range attack on same tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to engage in Close combat if you are engaged with an enemy model on the same tile? Or can you do Range atrack or Can you do both?!?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Knapp
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
It's probably beneficial to do both as you're only allowed one close combat and one ranged action per game turn. But I've rummaged through the rules many times and found nothing preventing shooting while engaged. It doesn't address it well, but shooting inside your own engaged tile would be similar to shooting into another engaged tile. Ergo -10 to your ranged skill test.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok makes sense.. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, -10 for shooting at a engaged model.
You can try to shoot with less chance of hitting the target but more chance of causing damage or use close combat with the opposite, more chance of hitting but less chance of causing damage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a strange follow up question:
The -10 only applies when the target is engaged.
Now what if a Marine is engaged with an Alien in CC and decides to shoot at an enemy model on an adjacent tile. This enemy model is alone on the tile, so not engaged. The -10 modifier would not apply.
This doesn't make much sense, neighter thematically nor in gameplay terms.
Am I missing something?
At the moment I play that the -10 modifier applies if the target or the attacker is engaged....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Wagner
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mb
As far as the rules go, it is correct that the modifier is solely dependent on the target. An engaged model can thus shoot at unengaged models with no hindrance.
But house ruling this is quite alright. As you say, it doesn't make much sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah thematically, we house rule the modifier for both situations!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a -2 if shooting from an engaged tile
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Wagner
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mb
Posco wrote:
There is a -2 if shooting from an engaged tile


That would be page 28, where it says "Shooting through Engaged Tiles". Not from. The modifier applies for every tile between shooter and the target tile.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Armag3ddon wrote:
Posco wrote:
There is a -2 if shooting from an engaged tile


That would be page 28, where it says "Shooting through Engaged Tiles". Not from. The modifier applies for every tile between shooter and the target tile.


This is where I get confused. The reason I am confused comes from the description of the Smart Disc attack (page 30-31). On these pages, it says to roll 2 D20 for every tile between the target tile and tile the figure using the Smart Disc action and to choose a target tile up to 2 tiles away. To me, that would mean if you choose anything less than 2 tiles away it would not hit any figure. However, the example shows that it is attacking the figures in the adjacent and second tile.

For the -2 modifier, the wording is exactly the same. It states "for every Engaged Tile occupied by at least one enemy Model between the shooter and the target Tile."

Is the Smart Disc supposed to be handled differently than a normal range attack as far as targeting? Would it be possible to get an official ruling on this from someone?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalbe Troben
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Topknot87 wrote:
It's probably beneficial to do both as you're only allowed one close combat and one ranged action per game turn. But I've rummaged through the rules many times and found nothing preventing shooting while engaged. It doesn't address it well, but shooting inside your own engaged tile would be similar to shooting into another engaged tile. Ergo -10 to your ranged skill test.


You cannot do a range attack in same tile but You can shoot any model an another tile. Here is from tule book.

"Any kind of combat allowing Models to attack one another over the distance of a couple of Tiles is called Ranged Combat and requires a successful Ranged Skill (RS) Test."

And "Any kind of combat that allows Models to fight and attack one another while being Engaged with one another is called Close Combat and requires a successful Close Combat Skill Test."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GimliTheOulu wrote:
Topknot87 wrote:
It's probably beneficial to do both as you're only allowed one close combat and one ranged action per game turn. But I've rummaged through the rules many times and found nothing preventing shooting while engaged. It doesn't address it well, but shooting inside your own engaged tile would be similar to shooting into another engaged tile. Ergo -10 to your ranged skill test.


You cannot do a range attack in same tile but You can shoot any model an another tile. Here is from tule book.

"Any kind of combat allowing Models to attack one another over the distance of a couple of Tiles is called Ranged Combat and requires a successful Ranged Skill (RS) Test."

And "Any kind of combat that allows Models to fight and attack one another while being Engaged with one another is called Close Combat and requires a successful Close Combat Skill Test."


From what I understand, this quote from the book says that you can shoot at someone engaged with you:

"A Model may target an opponent’s Model(s) Engaged in
Close Combat. If it does, then it receives a -10 modifier
to its RS Test value."

Unless I am understanding that wrong? Does it mean that if you shoot at someone engaged on a different tile that you would suffer -10 to shoot at them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
true_dnd wrote:
From what I understand, this quote from the book says that you can shoot at someone engaged with you:

"A Model may target an opponent’s Model(s) Engaged in
Close Combat. If it does, then it receives a -10 modifier
to its RS Test value."

Unless I am understanding that wrong? Does it mean that if you shoot at someone engaged on a different tile that you would suffer -10 to shoot at them?
This rule seems to apply ONLY to a model that is engaged in close combat on a DIFFERENT tile than the shooter. The rational being that it is harder to hit a target when there is another intervening model (the game ignores collateral damage for simplicity).

However, I can see your rational clearly and since there is no official clarification whistle, you could argue that it doesn't SPECIFICALLY state a you have to be on a different tile.

However, this clause contradicts that sentiment:
"Any kind of combat that allows Models to fight and attack one another while being Engaged with one another is called Close Combat and requires a successful Close Combat Skill Test."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.