Subject: A Question On Availability and Prices of Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Baes
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools

I've just gotten into the whole board game hobby just this month REALLY and have a LOOOOOOOONG list of games to buy..Doom, Descent, Battlelore, Dungeon Twister, Hybrid, their expansions to name a few. I actually just own 6 games to date not including monopoly, chess and scrabble.

I'm wondering though, how long are the shelf lives in general of most board games? I mean, how long do games usually stay easy to find in stores (whether online stores or otherwise) before availability starts to dwindle and price starts to climb? (e.g. space hulk, talisman, shadows over camelot: company of knights..I know its not really a game)

At the moment I am taking the time to research games and probably plan my next batch of game purchases 6-8 months from now but I'm concerned at the possibility of games becoming harder to find or more expensive in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Also, if any of the games I mentioned above is starting to get harder to find or more expensive, let me know. Would appreciate the heads up.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
well talisman will be re-released so dont go buying that at the moment wait till october to get it.

and the shelf life really depends on how many people are buying it. carcassonne, settlers and many other popular games are not going away anytime soon. its like the classics risk, cluedo and monopoly they are always on the shelf because there is a demand for those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
oh btw welcome to the website and hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going through the same buying campaign that many new gamers experience. I had gigantic spreadsheets of games I wanted to buy and felt I had to buy games going out of print and pay incredible money for games that had already gone out of print (on the theory that they would only become harder to find). Well, a couple of years later, most of the out-of-print games I bought have been reprinted and are available for about a third of what I paid for them, including some that people said would never be reprinted in a million years (like Fury of Dracula and Reef Encounter).

As far as how long games remain in print, it really depends on several factors, the biggest one being the publisher. Some companies (like Rio Grande, Fantasy Flight, and many others) print substantial first print runs and/or reprint as necessary. There may be brief periods when their games aren't available, but generally speaking they'll be around for quite a while -- and if/when they do go out of print, there are plenty of copies floating around. Other companies (like R&D Games, Richard Breese's company) print as many copies as they feel they can sell at that year's Essen and that's it! If the games are good, though, they're often picked up by a larger company for a bigger print run. Z-Man Games has been good about finding these games and making them available to all.

My advice is to not worry about games becoming impossible to find in 6-8 months. Go ahead and plan, and get the games you really want that are in print, but don't worry too much about snagging stuff because it seems to be going out of print. If it's widely available now, it'll be available in 6-8 months, even if you have to go through BGG or Ebay. If it isn't, I guarantee that there will be five cool new games to take its place. And before you pay a premium price for any game, check the BGG page and make sure a reprint isn't on the horizon -- many long-lost copies suddenly appear on the market (for outrageous prices) as soon as a reprint is announced.

CAVEAT: If you're in love with Railroad Tycoon or any other Eagle game, these would be good ones to grab while you can. The entire company went under, so it may be quite a while before these games ever come out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what has been said above (good advice there): check your suppliers. And check other suppliers. And check with some more suppliers. I actually ordered a game last night for which I went to 5 different suppliers, 4 of which told me it was out of stock and they had no 'expected' date for it. The 5th simply had it. So don't think too quickly that a game isn't available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Stone wrote:
In addition to what has been said above (good advice there): check your suppliers. And check other suppliers. And check with some more suppliers. I actually ordered a game last night for which I went to 5 different suppliers, 4 of which told me it was out of stock and they had no 'expected' date for it. The 5th simply had it. So don't think too quickly that a game isn't available.

I agree.. case in point, I found a new copy of Wilderness War (and the deluxe map) at www.enterprisegames.com just last week! So.. look all you can before resorting to eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, buy the games you want in the order that interests you. Find a local game group or convention and play a bunch of the games that interest you.

If you find an interest in a game or list of games, you can ask here and people will tell you about its availability. Even those that are out of print can generally be traded for eventually.

There are a few that are rare such as limited print runs and out of print like Neuland, or La Citta (perhaps stilll available in Germany?). Others are extremely hard to find, but then get reprinted. Example: Roads and Boats. Very expensive, and very very hard to find. Except it was just reprinted. It will be available for a short time, but then go away again and be unavailable. This is because it is from a small publisher, Splotter. Similarly for Antiquity, and Indonesia?

But in general there are a ton of excellent games from Rio Grande, Days of Wonder, Z-Man, etc. that will be available for some time to come that will keep you busy for quite some time.

Sterling

EDIT: One additional point. As you find games you want, make a list and wait. Follow the boardgamegeek for information about those games. And wait patiently. But when something gets reprinted (Roads & Boats), jump on the oportunity if the game interests you, while you can get the game new. (Please note, though, that this is more advanced advice as you get into gaming. There is a ton of excellent games out there that will satisfy for years.)

Edit 2: There is some good information here. Someone should put it up on the wiki as questions answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Baes
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the great advice guys. REALLY appreciate it! You put my mind at ease (not to mention my wallet)

..now I can carefully plan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.