Phase 10» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Yet Another Card Game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Today i have written reviews for Rummikub and Skipbo both games driven by luck. Now its pahse 10's turn. Phase 10 to me is worse than both of these other 2 games which says alot if you have read my other reviews.

OK so Phase 10 is a card game of phases, well thats quite obvious by the title. The aim of the game is to complete the 10 phases before anyone else. Each phase has a different objective you must complete while ridding your hand of all cards. It is a very simple game.

This game like most card games is entirely driven by luck. As with Rummikub or Skipbo you can either finish a game in 10 turns or youll be waiting for one card to show up. It is always just one card that needs to pop up but if your not lucky it never will.

As ive been reviewing these luck driven games i have been thinking about why do people play these games. Many people play them because they are simple. Easy to teach, easy to learn. So you can get anyone playing. The conclusion I have come to is its not the game people like its the social activity the game brings, in these types of game your are able to easily have a chat and drink some coffee, which you cant do so easily in intense games. So i see the need for these games to exist, just not the need for me to play these.

As with all these sorts of games I recommend them for children, its a great start for children with these games and as they get older they can play more complex games. These games provide the basics of gaming, while not being easy to play. The children learn skills with pattern recognition, while also learning good sportsman ship. Another good start for casual gamers also, but as usuall gamers should steer clear of these games unless they like to play with their families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
As I play this game more and more, it becomes more and more painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.