Subject: Intrigue plus 1 expansion, what should it be? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Inteigue and I'd like to get one expansion for it. Bearing in mind I will never be getting any further expansions, which one should it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clemente
United States
Seabrook
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Dominion, Intrigue and Seaside, so I can't comment much on the other expansions, but I really like Seaside. Most reviews of it are positive. The next expansion I want to get is Prosperity, I often see it listed as other people's favorite expansion. Tom Vasel has said this for himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer says if you get the original and only one, then that one should be Seaside. I would also recommend that for Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
Bearing in mind I will never be getting any further expansions, which one should it be?

Oh, he says that now. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have to have Seaside and Prosperity. I would not want to choose between them. However, if I had to, I would do as Donald X. says and get Seaside.

Btw, we are really having fun with the new Dominion: Adventures right now. But you need to work up to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the entire collection I would say these sets are the necessary sets:

Dominion (I like the original more than intrigue)
Prosperity
Seaside
Adventures
Intrigue

you may safely avoid
Hinterlands
Cornucopia
Dark ages
Guilds
Alchemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

Prosperity
Seaside
Adventures
Intrigue

you may safely avoid
Hinterlands
Cornucopia
Dark ages
Guilds
Alchemy

A few counter points:

Adventures - Cult of the New. It is good, but not necessary. If you hold off on purchasing for a while then you might luck out and RGG may fix their cardstock and printing inconsistencies before you purchase it.

Dark Ages - This is the thinking person's expansion. If you like thinking carefully about how to play your deck then this is your go to expansion. I love it.

Hinterlands - Has a few cards that break the usual Dominion pattern for the first couple of turns.

Cornucopia/Guilds - They are small sets so they don't quite have the bang for your buck as most of the other sets. Adventures and Dark Ages are the kings for that.

Alchemy - Such a misunderstood set. The set introduces an alternate currency and the cards combo really well with other cards from the set. If you mix in all expansions then Alchemy cards tend to get very weak and expensive. If you play with Alchemy the way suggested in the rules then the set is a lot of fun. Alchemy mixes well with everything else if you're careful with how its randomized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svengaard wrote:
Cornucopia/Guilds - They are small sets so they don't quite have the bang for your buck as most of the other sets. Adventures and Dark Ages are the kings for that.

Guilds & Cornucopia are now available together in one box, so you can get the bang for the buck by buying them that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
sao123 wrote:

Prosperity
Seaside
Adventures
Intrigue

you may safely avoid
Hinterlands
Cornucopia
Dark ages
Guilds
Alchemy

Funny, if you'd add guilds to position two in the upper list then I'd agree fully.

But I do like the other sets as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think Dominion: Seaside is your best bet. It has some awesome new cards and card types (Durations are great) and it flows well with the sets you already have. But it might make you want to buy more of the sets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sets I own:

Base, Seaside, Prosperity, Alchemy (currently eye-balling the Guilds/Cornucopia combo)

If I had to pick two of the ones I own, it would be base + seaside. While Prosperity brings much to the table as far as bigger everything, I feel that if I was limited to two sets seaside would be the one I pick. Those are actually the only two sets I owned for the first 6 months, until someone got me the big box set for Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Michel
msg tools
I like prosperity above seaside but cant vi wrong with either. Base game is a must as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Montgomery
United States
Moraga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Svengaard wrote:

Guilds & Cornucopia are now available together in one box, so you can get the bang for the buck by buying them that way.

Good to know, although I already own them both.

Cornucopia is my favorite expansion because more than any other, it encourages a style of play that I prefer, which is buying one or two of a variety of cards instead of piling into the perceived power cards and racing to win the split.

Combined with Guilds, I'd take it over Seaside in a heartbeat.

Prosperity gets you Colonies; hard to pass on Colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psst...

If I were recommending Dominion to someone that had never played before and didn't want to spend too much and would be able to have fun for years:

Dominion (original)
Seaside
Prosperity
Guilds

So my answer to your original question (one and only one expansion to go with Intrigue) would have to be Seaside.

edit to add:

I kind of buck the trend a bit. I love Guilds and dislike Dark Ages. I'm not sure if I like Adventures or not yet (I like the Events at least). The reason I fell in love with Dominion was that it was fast paced but still had a lot of strategy involved if you could see it (I hold 7 Wonders in the same regard). With some of the later expansions, I can no longer play 5 games before I burn out... I often get burned out after only 2. The cards (in DA and Ad) are fun, but require a lot more thinking and planning than some of the earlier/lighter expansions. I'd much rather play 5 quick fun games than 2 long drawn out games that make my brain hurt.

Semi-related: I'm surprised Dark Ages gets such high praise while Alchemy is widely considered a throw away. To me, they are very much the same... they require specific cards (potions vs shelters/spoils) to work, they elongate the game, and they encourage careful deck manipulation more than most other expansions. They are both slug fest thinking expansions, when compared to guilds and cornucopia which I consider lighter but more fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I had just Intrigue, and then I bought Dark Ages. When I want a fast-paced game, I play Intrigue. When I want a though-intensive game, I play Dark Ages.

I had considered getting Seaside, since all the others don't seem to be worth it to me. Adventurers has a lot of the same dynamics as Seaside, and it *blows away* everything else, so I'll be getting that next instead of Seaside.

But my recommendation: get Dark Ages to accompany your Intrigue. You'll get a ton of new cards and a very different style of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.