Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

No game folder yet and this game is quite similar in mission statement to AVL - so I thought I would post it here for AVL players to see...

I am looking for a playtester for Tide at Sunrise on the Russo-Japanese War. A game very much like AVL - simple to learn but very, very, hard to play well. Actually, exaggerated on both ends when compared to AVL.

I am starting things a little early for this one so things are a little rough. First translation on the rules, 1st draft of map art, etc...so some gearing up time is involved and probably a fair number of early questions. But the game is easy to play and once going, the function issues should go away.

Game will be played via VASSAL in PBeM mode. This is a very hard game to play well and I am looking for sharks that will push the game very, very hard.

This is the only game that was mentioned on every single list from Japanese gamers when asked "what game do you think is the best Japanese game that has never been in English?". EFS players to euro players - they all had this game. It is my personally favorite Japanese game (closely edging out MDT after I have played this more)....

I have a playtester waiting...email me if you want to try it. adamant(at)nyc(dot)rr(dot)com

Niko's first draft of the map is in...have a look:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would LOVE to Adam....but I feel I could not give the 100% needed to do this!!! I am currently having a great time with Devil's Caudron intro and am teaching (although very easy) A Victory Lost to my boys. I DO look forward to this one....let me know if more help is needed!!!!

-Johnnyd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood Johnny...and I certainly can't be too upset with the attention you are giving my stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Sancy
Belgium
Zaventem
B
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Wow ! I was just reading your comment on this game yesterday, and the fact that you would first wait to see how AVL was doing before taking the decision to start the project. Obviously, AVL is a (well deserved) hit. And this is positive bonus ! I'm afraid I'won't be able to help you for the playtest phase. But I'll be soon rushing to MMP's preorder page ! Nice map. Same dream team as AVL ? Two japanese designers + You + Nicolas Eskubi + Vincent Lefavrais ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Close to the same - Jon Gautier is doing the rules...you'll get to know him better very soon. He is doing Red Star Rising, Warriors of God and Most Dangerous Time...and, a little thing I have going called Devil's Cauldron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Sancy
Belgium
Zaventem
B
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Stop dropping the names of all the games I placed on my wishlist, it hurts my credit card. Maybe should I rather directly buy your company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert March
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam,

What is the projected play time for this? I might be interested, although I'll need to find a partner for the test.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FTF playtime? Just a guess - 3-4 hours maybe...I have a playmate for that special guy already...

Has to be via VASSAL and PBeM for now..

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert March
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam,

Can you email me the rules (email address in my profile?). I'll look them over this evening and tell you if I want to try, although I'm inclined to say yes, based on my positive experience with FitS and AVL so far.

Rob

(Edit) I just realized that my email is not shown in my profile. It is rob(dot)march2(at)gmail(dot)com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, interesting subject matter. Correct if I'm wrong, but there aren't a lot of games out there regarding the Russo-Japanese War.

First draft of the map looks very good: it's hard to imagine how you could improve it that much! I'd love to give this one a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at the very least, it needs my BRAND NEW IGS LOGO!!!!

The map looks great (and even better all life sized and printed out) but has some function issues. You always get that on first drafts - the artist doesn't know how to play the game and does his thing....you pull them back...larger letters, can't see that, can't read this, can't tell this from that...no biggie but a little bit of a pain for the playtesters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Beudin
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

sadly, I think i'm not eligible as a "shark" yet : i'll work harder...as soon as i'll get AVL (but i'm very curious about the rules for this one)

the map is superb, as usual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is really cool. Can't wait to preorder this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any need for players who would play face to face?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steve,

Not yet - certainly for later though...keep an eye out. You will need rudimentary arts and crafts skills though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.