Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Price seems kinda steep for this. Is it worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say if it is worth it to you or not. I think it adds enough to the gameplay to be worth $8 plus $1 for shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played using the expansion about a dozen times now. It's a nifty little expansion to the game but you won't be missing anything if you just have the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Was this in the print and play files and I missed it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Freire
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
I've played using the expansion about a dozen times now. It's a nifty little expansion to the game but you won't be missing anything if you just have the base game.

Do the game mechanics change? I mean, is it that expansion that transforms the game almost in a new one? Or is it better just playing the base game? I was thinking about buying because of the 1 USD shipping hahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wongso
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanically it is more a supplement than a game-changer. The mechanics of the base game stays.

Just in case, here's what the expansion does in a gist, and below that a brief comment on what my group's experience has been when playing with it :
- adds one Superweapon to the middle of the table - one.
- Superweapon has a progress track ships can orbit, which can be advanced using either Economy or Diplomacy icons. Ships can not land on it directly though (like they would to activate planet effects in base game).
- when a player advances on it fully, it is destroyed and becomes 2 VP for the player who blew it up. Ships are returned to owners.
- we take another Superweapon out when the current one blows up. So there is always one active Superweapon.
- also, when a player upgrades their Empire to certain levels (1, 3, and 5) they are forced to 'unleash' a satellite on one of the unclaimed planets in the middle.
- whoever claims the planet to his/her Empire also claims the satellite
- the satellite gives 1 VP at game end if left unused, but does not count towards the 21 VP game-end-trigger
- satellites earned this way can be spent AT ANY TIME (incl. other players' turns) to activate the current Superweapon's ability
- satellites spent this way are placed on the Superweapon, and when someone blows it up they also get 1 Energy per satellite present, in addition to the 2 VP

Whew, so that's that. I've played the game with & without the expansion and I think it's safe to say that the base game works perfectly fine without the expansion. But also that adding the expansion to the base game makes it far more exciting.

For little to no rules overhead, it adds yet another factor to consider in the game and opens more avenues for creative play. Some added decision-making include :
-satellites : ok they are 1 VP each, which can be decisive when you have maybe two (or even three)! Should you keep them for this VP edge, or spend them in the hopes of earning even more VP? Is this situation one of those ones where I can earn more VP than I spent?
-planets : well I can get this one to fulfill my secret objective, that one for its cool effects, or that one which has a satellite. Hmm..
-Superweapons : well, in addition to the effects of planets acquired by other people, let me see if the current Superweapon can ruin my plans somehow. If it can, is it a good idea to go and blow it up for VP and maybe extra energy?

I can vouch for the expansion adding more strategic and tactical flavor to the base game. And we've had close games where the winner was determined by the difference of a single satellite. I personally don't think I'll play TEG without the expansion anymore, except if there is a new player in the game. Learning to juggle Energy and Culture is probably a bit too much in a first game if they have to also consider satellites and the Superweapon.

That aside, the nature of the expansion is such that if you love the base game you'll probably like it even more, but if you don't like the base game in the first place the expansion will hardly change your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.