Subject: Developers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmanuel Dario Fernandez Arcidiacono
Argentina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I know this doesn't belong here, exactly, but I couldn't find the correct forum for it.

Here's the deal: with a couple of buddies, we're making a little podcast, (super amateur) and I thought of discussing the role of the developer. The designer, the artist, the publisher, all of those are fairly easy to understand (not only what they do, but from where they get the required qualifications and what those are), but the developers... can someone direct me to where I might learn about them? (their specific function, the things they usually must learn before starting their careers, anything).

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of a developer like a record producer. They're not part of the band, but they have a big influence in the band's sound. They punch things up, and make it sound better.

So a developer is usually hired by a publisher to work with the designer. The developer tweaks the game to make it polished and ready for publication. This can be tightening rules loopholes, streamlining play, adding variable player powers, and facilitating extra playtests. Developers are usually uncredited, sadly.

I have some shameless self-promotion coming up, so I'll hide it in a spoiler...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you want to know more about the subject, I just started a podcast myself called Breaking Into Board Games. We discuss getting into the game business from the points of view of a designer, a publisher, and to your question, a developer.

We have one episode down, and the next one comes out next week. The next few episodes are interviews, but we'll start recording more analytical episodes over the next few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience as a developer, in order to get the attention of a publisher you need experience. Play a lots of games, study rulebooks, offer to participate in playtests, offer to test PNP prototypes for designers. The key is get experience and learn what makes a good and bad design. If you can add value it should be easy to find a designer which will allow you to gain hands on experience with the design process....

Finally being a developer is all about taking part in a creative journey....that is the reward primarily. There is not a lot of money to be had in the boardgame industry and developers normally only get their credit in the rulebook, not the game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Monk74 wrote:

I know this doesn't belong here, exactly, but I couldn't find the correct forum for it.

Here's the deal: with a couple of buddies, we're making a little podcast, (super amateur) and I thought of discussing the role of the developer. The designer, the artist, the publisher, all of those are fairly easy to understand (not only what they do, but from where they get the required qualifications and what those are), but the developers... can someone direct me to where I might learn about them? (their specific function, the things they usually must learn before starting their careers, anything).

Thanks in advance

Mark Rosewater, long-time head designer of Magic the Gathering, has had quite a lot to say about developers over the years, which should prove useful. The best option is a quick search with the terms "Mark Rosewater developer". Go with his 2011 essay "Let's see what develops" to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
Think of a developer like a record producer. They're not part of the band, but they have a big influence in the band's sound. They punch things up, and make it sound better.[/o]

Scary...
I thought they just gave card action ideas. and helped with balance and play testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Dario Fernandez Arcidiacono
Argentina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Many thanks to you all guys

I will be tunning for your podcast, Gil! And J.J thanks for that remindar, I had forgotten about Mark Rosewater! I used to read his columns on Magic back when I played it... that should be a big help too.

Again, thanks! Of course, should anyone want to add anything, please do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.