Popular Tags: Shipping [+] Math-Trade-Info [+] [View All]
Craig Viau
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The minimum fee for the recipient from UPS is around 35 dollars for a small package. Thats right $35 PLUS whatever the shipping was. They will arrive with COD charges. They call it Brokerage I call it Extortion. Always use your postal service.

Thanks
From your northern neighbor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig,

I've heard about this. Fortunately I've only used USPS to ship to Canada. Is this a Canadian government caused issue (i.e. surcharges/taxes applied to non-postal carriers), or is it UPS playing games? Does this apply to other carriers, such as FedEx Ground?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had this issue the one time someone shipped with a courier service. The guy showed up at my doorstep without warning and required that I pay in exact change (he had none). In contrast, only smooth experiences with USPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer-stu wrote:
Craig,

I've heard about this. Fortunately I've only used USPS to ship to Canada. Is this a Canadian government caused issue (i.e. surcharges/taxes applied to non-postal carriers), or is it UPS playing games? Does this apply to other carriers, such as FedEx Ground?

I've heard that it applies to FedEx and DHL as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from what i understand, you can clear the package from customs instead of the broker doing it (where the large fees come from). as long as you live near the major hubs. i have no idea how you go about doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer-stu wrote:
Fortunately I've only used USPS to ship to Canada.

Good plan. Just make sure it's standard USPS, not Priority Mail or anything special like that. Those are handed over to couriers on the Canadian side and can end up with a similar fee - although likely not as high.

Quote:
Is this a Canadian government caused issue (i.e. surcharges/taxes applied to non-postal carriers), or is it UPS playing games? Does this apply to other carriers, such as FedEx Ground?

It does apply to other carriers, but the carriers have some leeway in how much they charge and how they enforce it. The charges and frequency of them seemed to get worse and worse overall during the time I lived in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear! Hear!!!!

I got caught with this once years ago and NEVER again. When Canda Post does charge 'brokerage' fees it is $5 or $10 dollars. I think it is $10 (it used to be $5). But they only charge, it seems, when they open and inspect a package. I've been doing a few math trades recently and a SS gift and I've only been charged extra once. Out of maybe 10 or 12 packages.

So, to underline, when shipping to Canada use your local service only. It might take longer, but will be cheaper and your Canadian recipient won't get extorted!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Canada Post charges a "handling fee" of $5 for the privelege of having your package opened by customs plus 6% of the declared value for the GST.

As a side note, if your are shipping to Canada state the value as the exact amount as that is the value they calculate taxes with. I think some shippers are under the impression that they are doing the customer a favor by over valuing the package possibly for insurance replacement.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't figure out why there aren't more "canada only" math trades that bypass these problems. Is there just not a critical mass of gamers there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's it and most of them are in Quebec! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For more helpful info on this subject, you may also want to consult this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/82881

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I will never ever buy something if the only option is to receive it via UPS. I got burned once as well. They charge huge sums for brokerage fees. That is the fee you pay to have them handle your package through customs on your behalf. You are paying, in theory, for all their knowhow in traversing the customs laws. This is over and above the actual shipping charges, COD charges, taxes, etc.

Canada Post charges $5, though someone here mentioned that it was raised to $10. I'll have to check that out. Canada Post will charge you the $5 if they deal with the package in any way at all, even if only to charge you the 6% GST (consumption tax).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I can't figure out why there aren't more "canada only" math trades that bypass these problems. Is there just not a critical mass of gamers there?

I think it's because Canadians are lazy, dirty, maple syrup slurping, good-for-nothin slugabouts.

And they keep marrying my sisters. Now I'm related to two of the damn coldbacks. With their good manners and charming demeanor, they make me sick!

One of my own nephews is Half-Canadian. The shame. THE SHAME!!!

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I generally insist on USPS, I have had occasion where a low value item shipped from the US by UPS was not subjected to the brokerage fee. Low value meaning less than $20 USD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most others, I have also been burned on UPS brok. fees (not once but twice)... I ordered $35.00 USD in small boxed games and UPS tried to charge me 43.00 CAN in fees (yes, this does not including the outrageous price I paid for shipping).

A previous poster indicated you can ask to have the waybill and clear the parcel yourself. You would probably need to live in Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver to do this. They certainly don't have a clearance center in Saskatchewan.

Also, please don't trust the quotes on the UPS website. The fees as listed are just base amounts. They will nickel and dime you on misc. line charges and fees every time.

The only way to ship from the United States to Canada is through United States Postal Service. For some reason if your parcel gets tagged with customs it will only be 5.00 misc fee + applicable taxes. Although every second or third parcel coming in from the US has customs charges I have had very good luck escaping charges when the parcel is from Germany.

Hmmm.... Free trade between Canada and the United States - my ass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Becker wrote:
Hmmm.... Free trade between Canada and the United States - my ass...

That's free trade for the corps, not for you... arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lsamadi wrote:
Although I generally insist on USPS, I have had occasion where a low value item shipped from the US by UPS was not subjected to the brokerage fee. Low value meaning less than $20 USD.

I believe that UPS is not allowed to charge brokerage fees on items valued at Cdn$15 or less. I had one sour experience where a kind soul from the US sent me a US$12 item by UPS for speedy delivery. I found out from the sender afterwards that the UPS office had insisted that he mark up the value of the package to US$20, presumably just so they could charge exorbitant brokerage fees (which totalled more than the value of the package) on my end.

Here's a link to the official word from the Canada Border Services Agency: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4051/rc4051-e.html
The short version:
1. If Canadians purchase more than Cdn$20 from the US, they must pay taxes on it.
2. If Canadians receive a gift of more than Cdn$60 from the US, they must pay taxes on the amount over Cdn$60.
3. The postal people can charge the recipient handling fees and brokerage charges in order to collect these taxes (Cdn$5 if it is via the US Postal Service and Canada Post, exorbitant brokerage fees if it is via UPS).

In short: items valued at under Cdn$20 and gifts under Cdn$60 are not taxed; items valued at over Cdn$20 and gifts over Cdn$60 are taxed and incur the handling fee. In most cases there will be no costs at all if the package is sent by US Postal Service and marked as under Cdn$20 in value, or as a gift under Cdn$60.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.