Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Tar
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

As I've read in many places, when you want to do a kickstarter campaign, you should already have reviews and people that have commented on play testing the game.

Our game, BrilliAnts, would be ready to play test (in fact, we already play tested it a lot and it works great), would you guys have any ideas on the best ways to find play testers or reviewers near your area? We don't have the budget to go in big conventions like Essen or others yet and we tried with twitter and facebook without much success for now.

We are from Quebec city, so any play tester or reviewer from Montreal or Quebec would do I guess!

Here's our board game geek link if you'd like to take a look:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181265/brilliants

Thanks a lot for the help!
Sphere Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you blind playtested it yet? That is, have you given it to strangers to figure out only from your written instructions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Tar
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, several times and we received great comments so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try meetup, your local game stores, or try holding an unpub mini. check out the unpub website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Garcia
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
There's always Tabletop Simulator. It allows you to import images of cards and create your own pieces.

It's also an easy way to get people from around the world to be able to test it and provide feedback as all they need is an internet connection and the tabletop simulator game which I think costs around $15 USD.

I don't know about where you live, but here in Austin, there are several stores that have game nights where you can play with other locals. The Dragon's Lair store here has also helped kickstarter a few board games that I am familiar with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Is there a reason you are only looking for local reviewers?

Have you tried contacting some of the more popular reviewers to see if they'd review/preview your game? I'd imagine they'd have far more sway with your potential backers than someone who isn't as well known.

I'd also add that you should be blind playtesting as often as possible up until production time. You mentioned you did blind testing "several times" but several times doesn't sound like enough. You should have it blind tested hundreds of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Tar
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Game nights at my local store would be a good idea, I'll check it out to see if it's possible to go there and play test it with other players!

As for playing it online, the problem with my game is that I have miniatures with a particular system with twisting base to show when the pieces have moved, which makes it difficult to upload on Internet to test ... Do you know if we can upload miniatures on that? Or tokens that you can flip every turn?

As for the local reviewer, it's the same problem. The best thing for us would be to send our prototype to different known reviewers, but the problem is that developing just 1 fully playable prototype cost a fortune, so we cannot produce many, and with the shipping time and cost added to that it gets really complicated, so if we could find good reviewers nearby it would make things much more easier.

We know as well that the best thing to do would be to go in conventions to meet people and make them test the game, but then again it cost a lot of money and time to move there, and before running the kickstarter it's hard to organize!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you need to be a little more creative in your prototyping. Most reviewers are forgiving of reasonable concessions to practicality in the prototypes you send them, but I'd really see sending a prototype to an established reviewer as a must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Looking at it from a backer standpoint, your issues with getting a prototype into the hands of a large number of playtesters/reviewers would make me concerned that the game might not be as polished as it should be.

As was mentioned, you need to get a playable prototype into as many hands as possible, even if it means getting creative with the pieces the reviewers/playtesters need to use. As long as you include a side note explaining how the altered piece would function in the actual game most players can work around it, especially if you have a solid game.

You might also want to weight the benefits against the costs of sending a prototype to a well known reviewer like someone in the Dice Tower network.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.