Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Session [+] GITTE [+] [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going through my livejournal and I found this old entry I made for what is still the greatest gaming session of my life, the first time I played War of the Ring. It was also the last one I had with my gaming group before Katrina swept us away from New Orleans and into the back woods of Louisiana. It is bitter sweet that my group parted on such a high note. A few days before I heard of the storm I wrote it in a story style, complete with embellishments.

I played the board game War of the Ring, in which you battle was the forces of light or dark in middle Earth, and had an incredible time. It was so good I wanted to give a run down that would entertain any Tolkien fans out there. The game was close and fierce. Danny and me played the Free Peoples while Andrew and Jonathan lead the forces of Sauron.

PART I: THE WAR OF SARUMAN
The Nine Walkers of the Fellowship set out from Rivendell, moving over the High Pass and reaching Lorien with little difficulty because Saruman has concentrated his attention on destroying Rohan. Grima however is unmasked by Eomer and exiled. Theodred, commanding the main army of Rohan falls back to Helm’s Deep with a large army of Uruk-Hai in pursuit. Helm’s Deep is put under siege while Theoden and Eomer amass an army to attack Isengard.
In Lorien the Fellowship decides to break. Gandalf the Grey convinces Galadriel and Celelborn to go to Rohan’s aide. Legolas and Gandalf will stay to help organize the Lorien forces, while Strider will lead the Fellowship. Gandalf convinces Strider to assume the crown of Gondor, since word has drifted in that a massive army of Mordor, Southrons and Unmbar are massing at Gondor. Denethor is going mad and Faramir has abandoned Osgilath. Borormir agrees to help make Strider king. A screen of orcs makes the Fellowship's journey out of Lorian slow. Gandalf disappears into Fangorn forest…
Helm’s Deep falls and Theodred dies, but Gandalf, reborn as Gandalf the White spurs the Ents to attack Orthanc. The garrison is mostly destroyed and Saruman is killed in a duel with Gandalf. The Ents leave however, and Gandalf retreats to Fangorn. An elf army lead by Legolas meets Gandalf and then attacks Isengard. Grima though, using the palantir, scrapes together an army and pushes the elves back. The forces of Isengard are slowly rebuilt.

PART II: THE INVASION OF GONDOR
The Fellowship penetrates the orcish screen. Near the border of Gondor the fellowship splits. Strider, Boromir and Gimli go to Minas Tirith, while Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin approach Mordor from the north, lead by Gollum.
In the white city Strider is crowned Elessar, with Boromir and Faramir as his chief commanders. Denethor relents under pressure, and chooses to grudgingly aid the new king.
A great army of Southrons and Umbars invade southern Gondor and march on the great port of Dol Amoroth. Gimli is sent with a message from the king to bolster the defense. The city holds. Theoden and Eomer are convinced by Elessar to lift the siege. The muster of Rohan sweeps the dark forces out of southern Gondor. Mordor, frightened by this, halts the advance on Minas Tirith.
Sauron deploys the Nazgul to the north to bolster a new offensive. The Easterlings attack the Lonely Mountain without success.
Gandalf arrives in Gondor to give council to Elessar.

PART III: THE DESTRUCTION OF THE ELVES
The hobbits enter Mordor in secret, passing over the mountains near the Black Gate. Merry and Pippin are killed by orcs while Frodo and Sam journey to Mount Doom. The journey is hard and they must hide often to avoid detection, slowing their progress.
The Easterlings in a sudden move sweep through Dale, sack the Woodland realm and execute the King of Mirkwood. King Brand masses the armies of Dale, but he is slain, his army destroyed and Dale ravaged by the Easterlings.
Orcs from Mirkwood and Moria overwhelm Lorien. Galadriel and Celeborn choose death over flight. A Nazgul slays Legolas and Haldir.
Elrond, knowing that two armies great armies are approaching Rivendell, sends Arwen to the Grey Havens. Rivendell hold for days, but eventually falls. Glorfindel is killed by a fell beast, and Elrond escapes with one of his mortally wounded sons. The dark armies of the Misty Mountains are successful but too drained to carry out more attacks.

PART IV: THE LAST BATTLES
With the forces of darkness having destroyed the elves and Grima rebuilding the army of Isengard, the morale of the free people falter. Dale is reclaimed by Dain Ironfoot and his dwarves, who destroy the Easterling army. They are set to liberate the Woodland Realm.
Theoden and Eomer return to Rohan. Sauron sends one army to Dol Amoroth while Grima sends another to help. Elessar and Gandalf ride out and destroy the Mordor army, but Grima’s forces take Dol Amoroth. Gimli and Imrahil, prince of Dol Amoroth are slain. Helm’s Deep is retaken by Theoden and Eomer. Rohan is cleansed of orcs.
Despite great hardship and many brushes with death, the ring is cast into the Crack of Doom. The armies of darkness are beaten but at great cost. Only the elves of the Grey Havens still exist in force. The Kingdom of Dale is but a memory and large parts of Rohan and Gondor are in ruins.

Heroic MVP: Strider/Aragorn/Elessar
Light Army MVP: The Riders of Rohan
Dark MVP: Army of Moria

Died:
The Fellowship: Legolas, Gimli, Merry, Pippin
Rulers of the Free People: Galadriel, Celelborn, King Brand, King of Mirkwood
Miscellaneous: Saruman, Glorfindel, Imrahil, Haldir, Theodred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
Excellent report. I like how you make it a story, "Elrond and one of his sons escape..." and not, "Two Elvish Elites lived..." Very enjoyable.

I wish this game got out on the table more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What an awesome session report! Not only did you make me want to play the game, you also reminded me why we participate in this hobby. Gaming memories like this are treasures.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hodgson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like reading reports reflected through a narrative story . Very entertaining as the ' visuals ' of the board and pieces come to mind . My freinds , for some insane and completely illogical reason , don't like this game . They feel the rules are far too lengthy , muddled and confusing to tackle the game on a Friday night . Pfft , whatever . My entire painted minis effort here seems to have gone to waist . cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gisli Sigtryggsson
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LeeMiester wrote:
My entire painted minis effort here seems to have gone to waist . cry

I know. I too tend to snack while I paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.