Subject: Netrunner Foil Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gianni Ciao
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen posts about click trackers, tokens, mats, but not too many about foil cards here on BGG or around the 'nets.

Searching around, there's a short video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OTtUIRHmGY) showing an Andromeda and a Jinteki: PE.

Turkey_Sausage posted on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/2acnro/first_foi...) his efforts (alt-art Kate and a few others).

And you can see Soybeef Tacos' custom art efforts on his website (http://soybeeftacos.tumblr.com/post/127783850184/making-foil...).

So, I thought I'd share my efforts at making Netrunner foil cards. I was inspired by 1havok12's post here and I followed his instructions. I won't bother repeating the information here so if you're interested in making your own foil cards, follow that link.

I will just add my comments to his post here.

Foils:

As 1havok12 said, the color of the foils does not matter. However in my experience, it literally felt like the artwork colored in lighter shades was easier to scrub off.

Transparencies:

I'm a clumsy fellow so instead of dealing with transparencies and spray-on adhesive, I used Grafix Ink Jet Adhesive Film. On Amazon, it was $7.37 for 6 sheets. Pro: the glue was already there. Con: the card image isn't protected behind the transparency.

Influenced by 1havok12's pretty pictures, I wanted to make colorful full-bleed Netrunner foil cards. And like Turkey_Sausage, I wanted to show as much of the art as possible. So, I pieced the images together with the following resources:

To find artwork, I worked off of Tuism's The Art of Android: Netrunner.

For the templates, I grabbed these images (http://imgur.com/a/PMa4w#0).

For template references, I worked off of this

and this

For the symbols, I downloaded the Android: Netrunner Glyphs.

Cards:

Okay, enough talk ... you guys want to see some pretty pictures.

My version of alt-art Kate:

My versions of 3 Anarch runners:

All 12 IDs that I made:

Okay, thanks for reading!

EDIT: 11/08/2015

Okay, after a second round of card making, I have a few more comments.

1. Forget rags or paper towels; a sponge is the way to go for cleaning ink off of the MTG cards.

2. Don't get overzealous with the acetone. I soaked the sponge too heavily and managed to rub off the foil, too, on one MTG card!

3. Another con of using adhesive film is that the sheets are thick. I wasted ink and ruined one sheet from having so much trouble getting the printer to "grab" onto the sheet.

4. Here is another thread showing ibarker3's efforts.

I made 6 more Corp IDs:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I never understood why foil cards are cool. Why would you alter the original color scheme in such twisted way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that foil MaxX tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a girl who does MTG proxies like this. These look killer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for making DIY tournament prizes. Lotsa good links, thanks man =)

rattkin wrote:
I never understood why foil cards are cool. Why would you alter the original color scheme in such twisted way?

Well, it's fancy. They look interesting if you know what the original art looks like. It's like how gear heads get fancy pearlescent or metal flake paint jobs for their car or bike. It's nice when it's rare, but yeah, you don't want every card in a deck to look like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are amazing, and I would love to do this myself. I guess since you use an opaque backed sleeve you don't really care that it is a mtg card.

What was your sizing of the print area? I watched a mtg youtube video on it just now, and he talked a little about the sizing. Since these don't have any borders, I can imagine you need to be pretty precise.

The video also mentioned raising the brightness of everything by 10%, do you do that?

Also, what type of printer did you use? Or did you get a print shop to do it?

Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dj sabor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
These are amazing, and I would love to do this myself. I guess since you use an opaque backed sleeve you don't really care that it is a mtg card.

What was your sizing of the print area? I watched a mtg youtube video on it just now, and he talked a little about the sizing. Since these don't have any borders, I can imagine you need to be pretty precise.

The video also mentioned raising the brightness of everything by 10%, do you do that?

Also, what type of printer did you use? Or did you get a print shop to do it?

Keep up the good work!

Maybe we should have a workshop (in LNDONT).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djsabor wrote:
Maybe we should have a workshop (in LNDONT).

Workshop, or sweatshop? Could make an assembly line heh. I have a friend who says he's interested in making some also. Wonder if there's a local place that sells cheap mtg foils....

I'm pricing out transparency films right now, they are pretty pricey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Ciao
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I guess since you use an opaque backed sleeve you don't really care that it is a mtg card.

Correct. Also, as I understand the rules, ID cards can be proxied but not the "deck" cards. So, the back didn't really matter to me as I was only making ID cards.

Quote:
What was your sizing of the print area?

I made each picture 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches. The foil cards are about a millimeter less per dimension. This way, I would have overflow and never end up with silver edges on a card. When I put the pictures together, I deliberately inset the elements (like the ID name, number of link, etc.) enough so there was no chance of anything getting cut off.

Believe me, I'm a clumsy fellow and not very precise at all. If I can make these foil cards, you can do it.

Quote:

This is also kind of a response to Rattkin's comment: I didn't change the brightness, contrast, or original color scheme at all of the artwork.

The images come out very bright and bold on the transparency. The transparency supplies the translucence (even on the darker colors) for the foil to show through, creating those "rainbows" and lens flares when viewed at the right angle.

Quote:
what type of printer did you use?

It's a HP inkjet printer; I don't recall the model. My 3 tips for that would be 1) to select transparency film as the paper type in the Printer preferences; 2) make sure the transparency form-feeds properly due to its thickness; and 3) let the ink dry (I waited overnight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(If you have any interest in experimenting with an extra step: if you paint white under part of the art (between the transparency and the foil) you can get a selective foiling effect that looks really good.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind fielding a couple of more questions?

Right now I'm in the collecting art stage.

What pixel resolution did you recommend for the background art? I want to make sure the images are nice and crisp.

I'm not able to find all of the art from that link you gave. For example the Ken Tenma art. Did you have another source for the art?

I also can't find the Gabe Santiago alt art anywhere! I've checked the artist's website, and he doesn't have it posted

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Ciao
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
What pixel resolution did you recommend for the background art?

The snappy (and obvious) advice of "as high as you can get it" is utterly useless albeit true. With the artwork that I was able to find, I could convert to 200 dpi without losing quality so that's what I used. I feel like the cards turned out fine.

Quote:
Did you have another source for the art?

I started out with Tuism's page. When that wasn't sufficient, I googled the artists' names and looked through their galleries (usually, DeviantArt pages).

With Gabe, I used the artwork from the Bank Job card which can be found here: http://el-grimlock.deviantart.com/art/BankJob-NetRunner-3660....

With Ken, I lucked out. I found an ebay listing where the seller had posted a high-quality photograph of the card with very little perspective. If I can find it again, I'll edit this post with the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're awesome Gianni. I've been able to locate 600dpi scans of all of the alt art core set cards. However they were pretty pixelated. But I used some photoshop trickery to make them nice.

The only one I wasn't able to get a decent scan of was Jinteki PE. But I'm working on cobbling together a couple of sources right now. I figure I would start with a core set and go from there.

If you want my alt art files just pop me a message.

Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
(If you have any interest in experimenting with an extra step: if you paint white under part of the art (between the transparency and the foil) you can get a selective foiling effect that looks really good.)

This is a really good idea for the identity boxes, card and influence boxes, etc. Any suggestions on a very thin white paint? You would want something that's super thin under the transparency layer so it doesn't make any topography on the card surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first experiment with it I used Reaper Miniatures white paint, which worked pretty well. My friend Sarah refined the process a good bit after that, though. I could ask her what paint she uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
My first experiment with it I used Reaper Miniatures white paint, which worked pretty well. My friend Sarah refined the process a good bit after that, though. I could ask her what paint she uses.

Fantastic. I'll have to play around with it. I feel like you could really accentuate things pretty well with some paint. Have you tried colours other than white? I'm not too sure how that would affect the look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tried any other colors, but they'd be good if you wanted slightly more saturated non-foil colors. I'm not sure how useful that will be for most colors, but at the very least it probably gives you nicer black.

EDIT: I asked Sarah. She says get a $2 bottle of white acrylic from the craft store, you could probably even get away with white-out. She likes the idea of trying different colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.