2 Posts

War of the Ring» Forums » General

Subject: Differences in Dunlendings Between the 1st and 2nd Versions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a Vassal module of this game, and since I do own a physical copy of it, I've been going through the module to make sure everything matches the one I have. I have the second edition (specifically, the one that came with Gondor and Sauron included), and as I notice little slight differences here and there, I'm getting the feeling that the module was probably made from the first edition (it has "Phial of Galadriel" instead of "Galadriel's Light"). So, I've been going through the cards; I came to "Chief of the Dunlendings," and I can't find that character anywhere in the module. The module has three Dunlendings pieces, one is 15-5, one is 10-5, and one is 2-5. So I looked in my counter tray, and it appears I have two 15-5's and the Chief, which is 3-5. I bought mine secondhand, but that's corroborated by the counter sheet image here.

So, my purpose in raising this issue is that I want to fix the module to be in line with the v2 copy that I have. If I just change the 15-5, 10-5 and 2-5 to the 15-5, 15-5, and 3-5 (Chief), would that be all I need to do to bring the Dunlendings in line with the second version, or are there some other quirks I'm missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holden
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's a thread enumerating the rule changes between the first and second editions. I don't see any changes to the counters themselves.

WotR 1st vs 2nd

The Dunlending counters should include the leader Chief of the Dunlendings 3-5 and two army units Dunlendings 15-5. The reverse of them have an R to designate their status as reinforcements (The Chief is the only leader who arrives as a reinforcement). The other counters you mentioned, the 10-5 and 2-5, are counters used to "make change" after the 15-5 units take losses in army combat. They are labeled Men rather than Dunlendings, although the color scheme is the same. The reverse of the 10-5 and 2-5 are 5-5 and 1-5 respectively.

I hope that answers your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.