Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for highly thematic/narrative games where players had to make interesting story choices.

Anything from a simple branching path, to something like which character would be sent on a suicide mission.

Does anyone have any great examples?

For example, in Eldritch Horror, you might come across a very powerful weapon that slowly drives the holder mad. You decide to give it to the character who has the most sanity, rather than the character who has been doing the most fighting.

I want to hear some interesting stories as well as discover which games have moments like these.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Heath
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We were playing a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill. In that game, when something triggers the haunt, you look in a chart to determine which adventure you are dealing with. Almost always, one person becomes the traitor and seeks to destroy or manipulate the other players. On this occasion, we discovered there was a magnificent treasure hidden in the house and we had to search for clues to find it. Everyone had played the game several times, but this was their first time without an actual traitor.

Everyone split up, searching for clues throughout the house. People were finding several, slowly working their way through to get what they needed to find the treasure. Everyone...except me. You see, while everyone else had intelligent characters who could find clues easily, I was playing the stupid but strong character. After several turns struggling while I saw clues stacking up on others, I knew what I had to do. I took my magic spear and started hunting down the weaker characters to steal clues from them.

At first, I just stole a clue or 2, then went to someone else. Soon, I realized that wasn't quick enough. I would just have to kill someone, then I could loot their corpse and get all their clues at once. I took the mystic elevator down into the basement, tracked down the fortune teller and killed her outright, taking her clues. The child who was also downstairs ran into the elevator and took it upstairs with him so I could not follow.

I did not mind, I had all the information I needed. I quickly followed the information I had accumulated with my dark deeds and found the treasure, winning the game. But...then we analyzed the board. We realized that the only exit from the basement lay past the catacombs. The catacombs, my strong but unhinged character did not have the statistics to be able to get past.

Thus, two amazing things were discovered during that game. One, in one of the only scenarios where there was no traitor, I still took it upon myself to become a traitor. Two, in reading the epilogue of the adventure, it described the winner as sipping drinks at the beach with his fortune. We determined that obviously my character went insane trapped in the basement and sat on the edge of the underground lake, imagining himself as sipping on drinks at the beach as he slowly starved to death in the dark.

My favorite memory of that game. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
One time I had all 20 skeletons on the board and completely cleaned house. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.