Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: New to miniatures, question about how to make it!!! >_ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sean wang
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi,all~~~ I'm just wondering whether this is enough for building the miniatures?
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/amyst5110.html

thanks all~~~cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also get a fine file or very fine sand paper (an emery board used to polish nails from drug store cosmetic department will also work) to file down sprew nubs from the model pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
That kit is definitely a good start. And a good deal. For first-timers, sure, that will be fine.

If you really wanted to go down that road and be as crazy as myself, you could also get:

- Various glues and cements in assorted viscosities
- Various files and emery boards
- A whole kit of x-acto knives of various sizes and shapes, with replacement blades
- A series of small plastic clamps to hold the pieces together while they're drying
- A small armature to hold the model in juuuuuuust the right position while you work on it
- a loupe (magnifying glasses on a head mount) and an Ottlite (special desk lamp designed for crafters) so you can see what the heck you're doing

et cetera....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is good enough if you don't care about cleaning the minis, as in removing extra spur olaastic and lines or painting it. Otherwise you need a file or sand paper and green stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf_ripper wrote:
That is good enough if you don't care about cleaning the minis, as in removing extra spur olaastic and lines or painting it. Otherwise you need a file or sand paper and green stuff.

Concerning the "green stuff," I know it will fill in the gaps between pieces, but is it only really used when the intent is to eventually paint the minis? I kind of like the statuettes in grey, so I doubt they will ever be painted.

Would still like to have clean connections between pieces, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
For a hobby newbie this is good enough imo. You dont *need* sandpaper or files with these plastic minis, you can scrape off nubs and seams with the side of the hobby knife. That's how I do it pretty often. This is also the only glue you really need for these minis in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
gf_ripper wrote:

Concerning the "green stuff," I know it will fill in the gaps between pieces, but is it only really used when the intent is to eventually paint the minis? I kind of like the statuettes in grey, so I doubt they will ever be painted.

Would still like to have clean connections between pieces, though.

Just use plastic glue and push the connection together relatively strongly and you will cut down on unsightly gaps etc. If you aren't painting these you do not want to use green stuff on them or you will have nice figures with big green spots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean wang
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks, do I need a screw, pore maker ...not sure the name for that, plz see the pic below ~~~

Are the pores already there in the miniatures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack J.

Michigan
msg tools
Here are some techniques to assembly.

First TEST FIT EVERYTHING. Before you put glue to model test fit pieces to make sure it turns out the way you want. I noticed that some of the survivors bits aren't for all models. They may look like it but no.

Second. Glue body and legs to the base FIRST. Once this is done you can test fit the torso and head to get the look you want.

Third. I tend to put a drop of glue on small palette of some sort. Old timers use a ceramic flooring tile....cleans easy. Then "dip" the model bits in the glue. This way you can control more of what and where the glue goes. This avoids shaky hand or accident discharge of tons of glue. Same thing works if you are using accelerant. one side accelerant. one side glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
manawii wrote:
Thanks, do I need a screw, pore maker ...not sure the name for that, plz see the pic below ~~~

Are the pores already there in the miniatures?

Dont need that. No need to pin these, just put the two pieces together where they fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The screaming antelope definitely needs to be pinned. I've had him fall off his stand twice already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see if that plastic glue is plastic cement (solvent) or super glue (adhesive). With HIPS, esp. if they have small joins like a lot of KD minis, you want the solvent variety. Melting the plastic together forms a way stronger point than brittle glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Entice wrote:
The screaming antelope definitely needs to be pinned. I've had him fall off his stand twice already.

Super glue or plastic cement? It seems pretty solidly on the base with just plastic cement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
With the right glue, no pinning is needed. Make sure you are using Poly Cement. It melts the plastic of the base and the hooves, 'welding' them together. Mine is totally solid, no worries about breaking off unless I am extremely rough with it, which I won't be as it's a boardgame miniature

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's super glue. I should probably get some cement for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Yep, much faster/easier/better results from plastic cement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Pooler
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure to prop him up under his chin so he doesn't lean off balance or fall over while the cement sets. I just wedged a toothpick up under there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.