Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Just managed to play a few games of between two cities
Really loved it!
Might be my new go to game for big groups and those who are not too into cooperative games. I loved the partnerships cooperative aspect. Refreshing

I did have a slight nagging feeling on the final scores though. They always came down to tiebreakers. Its exciting but can also be frustrating if it always came down to that

Was just thinking if having mini goal cards could change that up?
Like each individual having a card that says maybe "+1 for the player for each shop house in 1 chosen city" or "+5 for the player for having the most factories in one of his/her cities"

So with the cards they will still take the lower scoring city but also add additional points for that player only for fulfilling the mini goal
I feel that might make the scores significantly different which would result in less tie breaks and also force a difficult cooperative decision between the player and his/her partners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would need some serious play testing. Seems like it might upset scoring but worth a look.

P.S. I have no problem with games coming down to tie breakers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan: We found that ties happen in 30-40% of games, which means that your second city is quite important.

The designers did test secret goals, but they found that doing something like that--even something small--had a really negative impact on the way the partnerships worked. The game hinges on trusting your partners to act in a mutually beneficial way for the both of you, and secret goals ruined that trust.

Also, the designers want to give the freedom of creation via a blank slate to players each and every game. They found that when players had secret goals, they became really focused on maximizing the goals--subconsciously they lost that freedom to create something of their own design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Already playtested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin delp
United States
Greer
SC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
what about shared secret goals between players....Haven't played it yet, so probably wouldn't work....but thought I would mention the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That wouldn't violate the first concern, but it still applies to the second one. I think Ben and Matthew tested that too, and they found that players had more fun when they had the freedom to decide what to do with the tiles they were passed instead of the game telling them what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks Jamey!
Makes sense to me. Have considered that goals would skew the way a player would like to build a city. Just thought the decision between personal goals and betterment of the city might have been a tough decision on the player's part. But since it's been tested, I stand corrected!

So, any expansion plans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the designers are working on a 1900s expansion where you finish the core game and then continue to build on the original cities you built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
jameystegmaier wrote:
Yes, the designers are working on a 1900s expansion where you finish the core game and then continue to build on the original cities you built.

Nice !
Sounds sweet

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Played this at GenCon, it was interesting. I liked the idea of stackable highrise-type buildings and how overlooking parks gave it bonuses, and some buildings got bonuses for being next to earlier-generation buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Comfort
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also playtested it at GenCon. Our regular game ended with all 7 players bunched within 1 pt of each other. The expansion totally blew things open and was a nice extension of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about an expansion. I really just want a Medieval (doesn't need to be fantasy) or a scifi skin for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
Not sure about an expansion. I really just want a Medieval (doesn't need to be fantasy) or a scifi skin for this!

Something like.... Between Two Stars? https://twitter.com/NickFerris/status/612679778714427392
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.