Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Christmas is just past, both of my daughters have birthdays coming up in the next 60 days, so I'm looking for some help with game gifts.

The oldest will be 7 in February and is definitely a gamer. She plays and enjoys a number of games not necessarily targeted at kids, including Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers, Transeuropa, Ingenious, Loot, and others. We also have a few games more targeted for her like Capt'n Clever and Rat-a-tat Cat. Interestingly, one of her favorites is Lord of the Rings -- she likes the cooperative aspect but she also holds her own in the decision making. I'm thinking of getting her a couple kids games for her birthday, since I'll invetably buy some family/"grown-up" games that she can play with us anyway. My current thoughts are:

Nacht der Magier -- is this just a gimmick, or a real game?
Schwarze Pirat -- haven't seen anything negative on this one.
Giro Galoppo -- same.

Our younger daughter will be 4 in early March. She doesn't usually sit still for long enough to play anything other than quick dexterity games (Gulo Gulo, Zimbbos) but is starting to show interest in other games. Current thoughts:

Max -- only $10, and her older sister would (based on LOTR experience) like helping her through a coop game.
Zoff im Huehnerhof -- dexterity game, so it fits the mold of what has worked with her so far.

Any other thoughts on the above or suggestions along similar lines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Our younger daughter will be 4 in early March. She doesn't usually sit still for long enough to play anything other than quick dexterity games (Gulo Gulo, Zimbbos) but is starting to show interest in other games.

Since I only have experience gaming with a three year old, I'm make a recommendation for your youngest. My son, who also doesn't sit still or exactly follow directions, has had good luck with Go Away Monster. He picked up on the actions of the game: taking turns drawing the pictures out of a bag and the placement of pictures on the room card.

Don't Break the Ice has also worked well. It helps that he likes to hit stuff but I don't think he fully understands that the Polar Bear needs to stay up.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My customers have given me positive feedback on Los Mampfos & Nacht der Magier. Other items to look at include Mago Magino, Schatzsuche, Kleine Fische, & Gulo Gulo. Also, Igloo Pop, Pirhanna Pedro, & Daddy Cool have gone over well. I agree that Ingenious is good for children and I like Paternoster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My five year old is starting to enjoy, more and more, Connect 4. That, and Crokinole (which he is amazingly decent at...or maybe I just suck that badly). Gulo-Gulo is still his favorite (except when his old man manages to eek out a well deserved victory!)

Dexterity games seem to do better than games that require some stragedy at the younger age. At least, at this point. For example, the rather simple Kids of Catan? He played a couple of times but now, nothing. Roll and move just isn't entertaining. I got my 4 year old niece Hey, That's My Fish. It's too early to tell if it's gonna have legs or not (maybe in another year or so).

Additionally, I'd suggest a trip to this site: http://www.kidgameratings.com/

Wonderful ratings of kids games with KIDS in mind. Highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at (or maybe looked for -- it may be recently out of print?) Break the Safe? It's a cooperative kids games that goes over very well at your older daughter's age and might be playable with your younger daughter as well.

I'd vote against Zoff in Huhnerhoff, especially if attention span is an issue. It's actually kind of a roll-and-move game with the dexterity element standing in for the dice. Alfredo's Food Fight might be a better dexterity choice for the 4 year old (it recently enthralled a 4 year old at my house although he was throwing freehand rather than using the fork-flinger).

Also, if you're tempted by Go Away Monster, consider Lauras Sternenspiel (in stock at Gamesurplus.com last time I checked) or maybe even Dschamal. Both are two-handed grab games that will be more fun for older kids/adults who are playing. In Laura's Sternenspiel a single player uses both hands (one in each compartment of the sack, and tries to remove a pair simultaneously. In Dschamal, two players use one hand each and are racing to find the camel or a piece that matches one of them already has. Either could be played more like simply if necessary.

Re Black Pirate -- my guess (based on trying it with a 5 year old) is that there's no way your younger daughter could play it now (which might not be a voting issue), but there's some chance she could play Akaba. The flying carpets are much easier to move than the ships. That said, my 9 year old likes both games but has a clear preference for Black Pirate because "it has more strategy."

Diamant might be a good whole-family choice. So might A-MAZE-ing Labyrinth (easily handicapped for the little one). And I'd be very tempted to get your 4 year old Schildkroetenrennen (available at funagain.com and levalet.com (but under the French name La Course des Tortues)), which is very cute and fun for all ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me second the vote for Hey thats my Fish! My 5 year old son loves the game and does quite well at it.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kleine Fische is a great first card game for your 4 your and one that the rest of you will enjoy.

Los Mampfos's little round bits that roll all over the place drive me crazy, especially when playing with small children. Whether Nacht die Magier makes sense depends, in part, whether the 4 year old will be playing games after dark. Anyone had experience playing it with a 4 year old? I'm skeptical (but eager to be wrong!) re whether a preschooler would stand a chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I would heartily recommend both Diamant (Incan Gold) & Hey! That's My Fish! Both my 5 and 3 year old children love both of these games and can play them well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some very good recommendations in this thread. I have a 7 year old daughter and an almost 4 year old son who love a lot of these games. They both like lots of games and can handle Carcassonne fine. My daughter loves Settlers of Catan and often asks for it, and she really loves Samurai. They can handle serious games. That said, I should mention what they really like right now.

Their current favorite is Thing-a-ma-bots. Being kids, they are silly and it is definitely a silly game. It's quick, easy and they laugh their heads off playing it. It can be a very imaginative game in its own way.

Similarly, There's a Moose in the House is a silly game. It has more rules and potential for strategic play, but it is completely overruled by luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
2 Classic kids games that i enjoyed were labirynth and scotland yard. i still enjoy them today. scotland yard would be a great choice because it has the co-op part of the game and its very strategic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. We already own a number of these games, including Hey That's my Fish, Gulo Gulo and Diamant. Our older daughter enjoys them all, and the younger one likes Gulo Gulo and is starting to learn Diamant (although she just wants to run out of the mine every time).

I'm really looking for kids games that are also fun for adults as opposed to more serious games that the kids can also play -- the idea is that they are gifts for the kids. And there is no requirement that the younger one can handle the ones we get for the 7 yr. old now -- she has time to grow into those.

For the soon-to-be 7 yr. old it looks like Black Pirate and Nacht der Magier are good calls -- again, recognizing that her younger sister probably isn't quite ready for them. I hadn't heard of Los Mampfos, but will check it out.

I'll definitely reconsider Zoff im Huehnerhof -- sounds like that may not be what I'm after for our younger one. I don't think I'll go for Laura's Sternenspiel, despite the fact that she's very into Laura's Stern (both daughters are bilingual German-English) -- she has another grabbing game (Ned's Head) and doesn't play very often. I will check out Schildkroetenrennen -- thanks for that suggestion. That was on my radar at some point, but I hadn't thought of it again now. There's a Moose in the House is also a good idea since it's cheap and readily available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    A-maze-ing labyrinth is working well with my nine-year-old and six-year-old (and my 38-year-old wife) right now. Quick learn, simple rules, great thinking game even for the little ones, and I second smithhemb -- very easy to handicap, and to coach without throwing the game.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your older daughter is sure to love Cluzzle but it would be much too difficult for your younger daughter. Although Cluzzle can be played with 3 people, it works much better with 4 - 6.

Take this recommendation lightly because I am the designer of the game, but if you look into it you'll find it to be a perfect fit. For some reason, this game appeals to girls between the ages of 6 and 14 like nobody's business. We learned this at several different game conventions when all we had was Cluzzle. Without fail, our booth would become the meeting place for kids between the ages of 6 and 14 (and most of them girls).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had the same questions myself -- what games to get my nephews (8 and 6) for Christmas. Ended up getting Niagara for the older one, and Hey, That's My Fish for the younger one. I was initially trying to decide between Niagara and Diamant, but several things made my decision for me... Diamant was OOP, and Incan Gold not yet out; Diamant & IG didn't have as nice components (IMO) as Niagara; also, a less violent theme (IMO), as you get killed in Diamant, but only "lose canoes" in Niagara.

Don't know about "The Penguin Game" yet, but Niaraga looks like a hit. Of course, if cost is a concern, then perhaps Incan Gold is a better option. For what it's worth, I played Niagara with my nephew, and am now jealous I don't have it! I might need to visit him again soon so we can play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops -- just read your last post. I'd still recommend Niagara, but it might be too similar to Diamant. We did strongly consier Amaze-ing Labyrinth, which looks very good for kids, but maybe not for adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
Oops -- just read your last post. I'd still recommend Niagara, but it might be too similar to Diamant. We did strongly consier Amaze-ing Labyrinth, which looks very good for kids, but maybe not for adults.

I brought A-maze-ing Labyrinth to my game group and the boys insisted on two games. Plays well with adults, too. Similar mental exercise to Through the Desert.

And on that note, is Through the Desert on your short list?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert is already at the top of my list of adult/family games to get, so I expect I'll buy it for myself in the same order as the kids' presents. I've been thinking about Niagara as well -- waiting to see if the local Barnes & Noble, which had it before Christmas, will have copies left when they start to rid themselves of that inventory. If not there, I'm sure I'll pick it up soon somewhere else. Unless I'm missing something, Niagara doesn't seem similar to Diamant in mechanics -- just in the objective of gathering gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thies wrote:
I've been thinking about Niagara as well -- waiting to see if the local Barnes & Noble, which had it before Christmas, will have copies left when they start to rid themselves of that inventory. If not there, I'm sure I'll pick it up soon somewhere else. Unless I'm missing something, Niagara doesn't seem similar to Diamant in mechanics -- just in the objective of gathering gems.

You're right. The mechanics aren't that similar, just the whole risk/reward collecting gems. I like that you can win at Niagara several different ways (collect enough gems of one color, collect one of each, collect enough total gems). The B&N near me had one copy of Niagara last week at full price. Nothing else of interest though.

I own Through the Desert myself, and my nephew (8) and I played a trial game. Now, he keeps bugging me to play "The camel game." The only hesitation I'd have for that game is the pieces. They're great, but they're small and (as stated often on BGG) look like pastel candies. Maybe not something good to have within reach of young children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, this thread was from 2007.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:

So? All of the replies, except yours, were posted within a day of the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
Mezmorki wrote:

So? All of the replies, except yours, were posted within a day of the original post.

Somebody deleted a prior post. I recall seeing it earlier in the month.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Larry Welborn wrote:
Mezmorki wrote:

Somebody deleted a prior post. I recall seeing it earlier in the month.

S.

Ah, makes sense then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.