Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow gamers! Last weekend I had the opportunity to try out this wonderful game at Sandy Petersen's residence. And today I am going to share my thoughts on everything from the components to game play elements.

When I arrived in Texas on Thursday, I had the chance to look over the etched dice that were just delivered the same morning! They were HUGE and easily readable for those who have poor eyesight, like myself. Each monster has it's own distinct dice in a unique color. This makes it easy to distinguish your target dice once the "Graveyard" has been seeded. I was impressed by the workmanship and the total number of dice included with the game.

The "Graveyard" game board was thoughtfully laid out and easy to seed with monster dice. I thought the seeding process was as much fun as actually playing the game! As cards were drawn for the "Burial Key", each player aided in distributing the dice to their designated areas. This early game interactivity will appeal to both younger and older players alike!

The game rules are simple yet fun to master. Move "X" number of spaces based on your "MOVE" statistic. Once moved, grab all of the dice in that area and place them into a bag. Mix them up a bit, then pull out dice equal to your "DIG" statistic. These dice can now be used to construct new monsters in your lab area. All remaining dice are placed back onto their designated area on the "Graveyard". "BATTLE" another player's monster by moving into the same area with them. You roll dice based on your "BATTLE" stat. They do the same. Before damage is incurred, players may re-roll "X" number of dice based on their "BRAIN" stat. This can be very useful if you rolled poorly. Once this phase is completed, each player subtracts the damage from their "HEALTH" bar. If you manage to kill the other player, you get to choose one of his body parts to keep for winning the battle! You also score "4" victory points! The enemy player is then sent back to his/her lab to build a new monster. My family will enjoy the speed and ease of these actions.

Once you have enough parts, it's time to construct your first monster! Your "Hunchback" must move back to his lab area. Then, you roll all of the dice you've previously collected from the "Graveyard". From those dice you pick out parts that fill the "Head", "Body" , "Arm", and "Feet". If you don't have all of the necessary components, you place the parts you do have and adjust your stats accordingly. You will still be considered a "Hunchback" and will incur damage each round until you can build a complete monster. On the other hand, if you build a complete monster you do not incur the damage per round effect.

Now let me make some distinctions between "Pure" monsters and "Hybrid" monsters. "Pure" monsters are a complete build of a given monster class. These would include "Mummies", "Robots", and "Werewolves". Building a "Pure" monster is doable but not a necessity. "Hybrid" monsters are constructed from various pieces across multiple monster classes. In this situation, you are focusing on maximizing your monster's special abilities as well as stats. Regardless of the route you choose, you will have a fully functioning monster that can do battle and dig for parts!

Your winning strategy depends on three mechanics. The first is battling other player's monsters to achieve "4" victory points. Second, you turn in your collected dice to the "Burial Key" for victory points. And finally, you have two "secret" monsters handed out to you at the beginning of the game. The "secret" monsters give one victory point per dice that matches your "secret" monster archetype(s) at the end of the game. You must be careful not to reveal your hand too early! Other players will notice which monster types you are going after the most. They will then make it a point to go after them to stop you from winning! Enemy players will also use "BATTLE" to set you back and to acquire the parts they need to win the game.

My gaming session was comprised of "4" players, including myself. We had a competitive game going! All players were within 1-4 victory points of each other. Multiple battles took place with parts exchanging hands frequently. And we made use of every monster ability available to us! Unfortunately, we were unable to complete our session. Two of the players had to retire early for their long trip home the next morning. They were great sports about it though! And we had a lot of fun learning all of the game mechanics.

So would I play this game again?

Absolutely! I've already backed it on Kickstarter.

For anyone who loves dice rolling strategy games... This is one you don't want to miss!

Thank you for taking the time to read my review. And I hope to see all of you on the Kickstarter backing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing, interesting read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Those losers having to leave early!

Wait a minute.....

I will second Greg's comments. The game was a blast. I am so looking forward to having the whole game in my hand with the KS exclusive "Mr. Shiny!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McGinty

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad you had fun . Thanks for taking the time to do this write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.