Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Emiliano and I am a compulsive boardgame buyer.

(crowd): Hi Emiliano

During the 4 days in SPIEL I usually want to buy everything I see especially if it has a lower price. Before I buy a game I would like to know if it has a decent rating on BGG. The problem is, I don't have WIFI in Germany.

What I do is writing a pdf with ALL the ratings of the first 5000 games of BGG so that i can easily search it for the game I am about to buy.
The solution is scarcely original but since among my fellow players it was welcomed, i guess someone else out there could appreciate it.

You can find it here (if I did everything in the right way):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3lR1lb9L42-UHBZQ1Byc0d2dDg...

The use is bloody simple: scroll the PDF until you get the name of the game (sorry, no multilanguage version). Then read the average rating, the rating adjusted by BGG and used to rank the games, the ranking itself and the average weight.

Upload it to your smartphone and use it during SPIEL without the need to use WIFI.

During the download of the data some changes in the rankings could have happened so there could be some very very minor inconsistencies.
Data are up to date October 1st 2015

The file contains a not so subtle and probably unforgivable attempt to self-promotion. arrrh Take it like the fee to pay for this small service.

Corrections, Questions, Comments and Likes are of course all welcome

I almost forgot: many thankx to "Andrea Nand" for his invaluable tool, bgg1tools:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/37590/bgg1tool-version-11...

Wentu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you think about it, guess it'd be nice of them to eventually get free WiFi for everyone attending the spiel. I guess its not too much to ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Laing
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avtomatik wrote:
When you think about it, guess it'd be nice of them to eventually get free WiFi for everyone attending the spiel. I guess its not too much to ask

Surprising wifi (paid or free) is not a given!
In the mean time - thanks very much for sharing!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hgzwopjp hgzwopjp
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avtomatik wrote:

There are two reasons against it.

a) The technical side. Having hundreds of clients in a very small area starts being non-trivial to set up when everybody is using it. Should be possible, though.

b) The legal side. The German law pretty much prevents free Wifi for anonymous people, because they'd be liable for people doing file sharing etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with the amount of money they accumulate from the distributors and entrance fees it shouldn't pose a problem in the execution.

On the legal side, they could make personalized tickets or everyone could be given a unique code.
How bars have free wifis in germany?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid question from a German that never considered free wifi on a fair a possibility. Do you have free wifi on every big event in your countries, ie Conventions, football matches, trade fairs or concerts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in Croatia that I know of, but we are a backwater country so take it with a grain of salt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Providing a stable WI-FI connection with a decent bandwidth for thousands of people probably is more difficult than it seems or they would have done it by now - the IT crowd in here might be able to enlighten us on that .

The bigger problem is that roaming in Europe costs an arm and a leg with most providers. I have a pretty cheap subscription for my smartphone - as long as I stay in Belgium. The only solution is to pay 2€ for a day package, that allows me to use my data connection abroad at a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's already super slow when I use my mobile Internet at the fair. Even if there was free Internet at the fair it probably would be so slow that it'll be pretty much unusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
Providing a stable WI-FI connection with a decent bandwidth for thousands of people probably is ..

1) Too expensive
2) Not something the retailers at Spiel want. Let's face it, 95% of the games at Spiel you can get cheaper online 6 months down the road.

If you want good deals on new games, this is not the venue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddy, I agree with you, new games are waaay to expensive at the fair.
This is why i am very interested in old and used games and i often wonder if they could be any good with such a low price. For instance, once I bought "Anasazi" just because it looked ok and was sooo cheap.
If only I had known better... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wentu wrote:

This is why i am very interested in old and used games and i often wonder if they could be any good with such a low price.

10 years ago, before all second-hand traders were fully online you could sometimes get good deals. These days you pay the going market price for second-hand games - if it's any good it won't be cheap.

Buying those at Spiel can save you on shipping costs, but that's about it.

Where you can still make a deal is the publisher/warehouse clearing deals. Games 3-5 years old they want to get rid off. Usually I pick up 1 or 2 of those each year, but they're not the majority of what I buy, which is new games at full MSRP. Why ? Because I want them *now*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Where you can still make a deal is the publisher/warehouse clearing deals.

And the BGG No Shipping Essen auction is also a great way to get good deals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Where you can still make a deal is the publisher/warehouse clearing deals.

And the BGG No Shipping Essen auction is also a great way to get good deals!

And the math trade

The point is that I don't want people to have the wrong expectations reg. Spiel.

It's not a gaming convention, it's a trade fair - you go there to look at all the new stuff and buy them at full retail price (or not). That's 95% of what's in the halls, all the rest (2nd hand games, stock clearances, trades, ..) is marginal compared to its main purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Lauck
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Strategy: buy games from small publishers at Essen, maybe you won't see it again. I can get the large print run games sometimes only weeks later at a huge discount. This way I can get some unnoticed gems And Look at the hyped games after a couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof Impens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A suggestion for the list of games perhaps: wouldn't a column showing the usage of text in each game be useful to alot of people?

Most games selled by shops (not publishers) at Essen are German. While you can print out rules and add them to a game to replace the German rules, games with moderate or heavy text usage might not be OK for those who don't speak German (or have a gaming group that doesn't). Useful to have notes on that for games you're interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Christof, thankx for your suggestion.
I thought about it and I decided that you can probably understand this info from the box you have in your hands.
I will see if i can add it now without too much work but these are the last two days at home and i have a lot of things to take care of.
Next year I will surely reconsider this again
Wentu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were joking when you said 5000 games. I haven't downloaded the file in case as on a mobile with limited download.

Are you serious? That sounds like too many. I think the 750 or so new releases should be enough!

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not new releases - its the first 5000 games listed on BGG. I believe that was done just so as to have a reasonable chance of looking a second-hand game up and if it is a worthwhile purchase find it listed. New releases won't tend to be in that list, unless they've already picked up a lot of ratings - ie, been released somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wynn
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea to pull this together - thank you! =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Stupid question from a German that never considered free wifi on a fair a possibility. Do you have free wifi on every big event in your countries, ie Conventions, football matches, trade fairs or concerts?

At conferences I would say yes in Canada. Trade shows maybe not. Concerts not that I know of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.