Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am first player and have Drop Squad in my hand, can I play it straight into my enemy's base and win?

If I am second player and have in my opening hand Artillery and Drop Squad, can I play Artillery into my base, destroy my enemy's base, then play Drop Squad into the enemy base to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tangram11 wrote:
If I am first player and have Drop Squad in my hand, can I play it straight into my enemy's base and win?

If I am second player and have in my opening hand Artillery and Drop Squad, can I play Artillery into my base, destroy my enemy's base, then play Drop Squad into the enemy base to win?

The only place the drop squad cannot go is onto a base, either your own base or the enemy base. If you could put the drop squad onto the base the game would be seriously broken, as you describe in your post.

In the current version of the rules, as posted here on BGG, this is mentioned twice:

page 12 - Players deploy units by playing them from their hand to an unoccupied space on the grid. Any unit other than Drop Squad can be played on its base; to deploy units elsewhere you must be able to trace a chain of supplied units (called a supply line) that extends to the base.

page 15 - Drop Squad draws supply like Infantry but can only be deployed without supply. (This means they can never occupy either player’s base.)

Note that in The Battle for Hill 218 this unit is called paratroopers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Karl said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Karl, I appreciate the reply.

Interestingly though, the rules as written do not prevent you from deploying Drop Squad on an enemy base. As currently stated deployed on "its base" prevents you from deploying on your own base (because that would mean it is drawing supply), but the rules are certainly not clear that you cannot deploy on the enemy base.

I agree with your interpretation, but the rules need better clarity.

To go one step further, it should also be made clear that drop squad cannot be used to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tangram11 wrote:
Thanks Karl, I appreciate the reply.

Interestingly though, the rules as written do not prevent you from deploying Drop Squad on an enemy base. As currently stated deployed on "its base" prevents you from deploying on your own base (because that would mean it is drawing supply), but the rules are certainly not clear that you cannot deploy on the enemy base.

To go one step further, it should also be made clear that drop squad cannot be used to win the game.

Because drop squad cannot be played in supply and also can't be played in an enemy's base, it can never be used for victory. If the other two things are clear, then that last statement wouldn't be needed. Let me look at a copy of the rules and see if I can find any relevant passages.

pg 9 " A unit can never occupy the enemy base without supply."

Also pg 15,which describes the Drop Squads ability says,"(This means they can never occupy either players' base.)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, thanks Max, that nails it. I apologise for skimming over that and appreciate you pointing it out.

Max, Chad, it's an interesting statement "This means they can never occupy either players base.", where "this" is because they can only be deployed without supply. But the reasoning is incongruent i.e. deploying drop squad directly on an enemy base can be done without supply, in the absence of any other defining rules.

I'm not trying to be a rules nazi here. Rather, I just want to point out an opportunity to improve the wording in the rules because I quite like this game.

Page 15 would be much clearer if it said:
- Drop Squad can only be deployed without supply. Once deployed, it draws supply like infantry. Drop Squad can never occupy either players base.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess, but taken with the rule that units must be supplied to be played in bases its a little redundant. I'll agree that it would make rule checking easier, i.e. Not having to look in two places for the reasoning.

Side question, have you played or do you own The Battle for Hill 218?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. However for a new player it's certainly frustrating to jump around and connect several rule points from various places to come to a conclusion about what Drop Squad can do.

It just makes it more accessible to read the section on Drop Squad and find everything it can and can't do in one place.

No, I haven't played 218. I went for 219 on Kickstarter based on the artwork. Looking forward to the Ogre version too when it is released.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tangram11 wrote:

I wrote my answer first based on my experience with Hill 218, which I have played quite a bit. I then opened the rulebook for Sector 219 and read the rules for the first time.

I agree the rulebook could be better on this. It took me a while to figure it out with 218.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Hellberg
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
karlfast wrote:

In 218 you can actually place a Paratrooper on the enemy base as long as it is supported and win that way though, in 219 that could never happen with Drop Squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
ec8or wrote:
karlfast wrote:

In 218 you can actually place a Paratrooper on the enemy base as long as it is supplied and win that way though, in 219 that could never happen with Drop Squad.

They aren't being dropped so much as marched in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.