Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I got Brit for the 11th night of Hanukkah (Christmas) and have been looking forward to playing a full game. I managed to persuade my wife to play Lew's first 2-player scenario (and got some good experience playing the Romans), but we can't find another couple that wants to spend six hours on a board game. One of these days I'm sure it'll happen, but Brit keeps getting buried deeper and deeper under 1-2 hour games. Any suggestions? Any 4-player half-game scenarios? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just practice. Me and my wife play Britannia very often and love it. The first game of 2nd Edition lasted about 6 hours. Next time we (I knew the game from 1st edition but my wife not) were comfortable with most of the rules and needed 4,5 hours. When we were comfortable with even the small special rules for each tribe we needed about 3 hours. Then we tried it with our friends - and the session lasted 4 hours The more persons in your group are comfortable with the rules the more the game will speed up.

And: Those who aren´t comfortable with the game should play the same colour for three or more times - so they are not in the bad situation to learn new rules and special treatments each time you are playing, but can concentrate on handling the known tribes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is a shame, as Britannia is a great game. My group loves it and everyone there consider it is one of my best buys. But of course my group is used to play long games, as it is mainly that I enjoy and buy.
If your group is of the 1-2 hour games type, then there is little you can do, unfortunately. You should have known in advance though. You can still try to persuade them to try it, just to make you happy. They might end liking it, who knows? But it would be great if you could find other people to play the game with, as it would be quite a waste to have it collect dust on the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon you got a great game. Now you just need to find players. It's a lot easier to find fellow gamers than you would think. You just have to make the effort.

I've found a number of local gamers using the search feature here on Google. Also check out your local game store. Find out if there are any game clubs in your area. I'm sure there are. Don't sit and wait for fellow gamers to stumble over you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even with gamers, Britannia is not an easy sell. Most prefer something shorter. Most prefer something other than a relatively straightforward but interesting war game where you roll a bunch of dice to resolve battle.

It can go for months without getting to the table for me.

I do have one group who really likes it and then it does get played, but it also depends on us having exactly 4 that night. Mostly via emailing in advance to set up an arranged game of it.

All in all a less played game than I would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our regular game night lasts 4 hours (after that its hostess gets tired and grumpy), and the one time we got a game going, we got kicked out before the Vikings arrived. We got our own copy so we could play it more often (or get the game started early enough at game night), but no luck so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have considered Britannia as a "social" game in the first place. It is a gamer's game and finds its target audience to be among the more serious of players. The game needs to be played through to completion to be properly balanced and I've yet to see any shorter scenarios that really work (and the "social" element would still be a question mark in my mind). It's a great game and I love it but opportunities to get it "on the table" are somewhat limited. It requires folk that are happy to invest the five to six hours of focussed play to enjoy properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wouldn't have considered Britannia as a "social" game in the first place. It is a gamer's game and finds its target audience to be among the more serious of players. The game needs to be played through to completion to be properly balanced and I've yet to see any shorter scenarios that really work (and the "social" element would still be a question mark in my mind). It's a great game and I love it but opportunities to get it "on the table" are somewhat limited. It requires folk that are happy to invest the five to six hours of focussed play to enjoy properly.

Yes, I'm afraid that's the truth. But then again, BRIT IS COOL! Perhaps you should just accept it for now and push your gaming group a bit away from the Eurogames towards the more serious games, but do this slowly! On the other hand, I hope the people you play with will find that gamer's games are tougher, but ultimately more fulfilling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have said elsewhere, two shorter versions exist (one diceless), but it is a question of whether FFG wants to issue them as an expansion or not.

The three player short game is good; there's a strategy article about it in "Sweep of History Game Magazine" #3, in the files.

I have been devising scenarios as short as four turns, for four or five (or three) players. But I'm not proceeding very fast, for lack of playtesters and press of other games. I think some preliminary versions have been posted on BGG.

I'd like to get them onto FFG's site when finished, but right now I can't get a word out of the FFG people who maintain the Brit site.

Lew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.