Saratoga» Forums » Sessions

Subject: British Disaster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
flag msg tools
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
Yesterday I won a session of Brandywine only to meet defeat in the fields of Freeman’s Farm. The results were quite horrific.

The March towards Destiny: There was no fog and the British marched quickly. I opted for the historical marching pattern, sending Burgoyne with five regular infantry regiments on the center path while Fraser lead the British light formations and auxiliaries on the western edge. Riedesel hugged the Hudson River. Although the Brits arrived at Freeman’s Farm quickly, Arnold came out with significant forces.

Arnold’s Bold Move: With only two regiments in front of Burgoyne, Arnold’s men dove at Fraser’s column, mutilating the Grenadiers and capturing the New York Loyalist regiment. In response Fraser launched a savage counterattack with the Earl of Balcarres supported by Indians while Burgoyne applied pressure to Arnold’s thin right. Amazingly Arnold held out against these attacks until Burgoyne had brought up artillery and two large regiments of Brunswickers arrived. While Arnold’s Connecticut militia regiments and the 2nd New York took heavy losses, the 24th and 62nd regiments were mauled. As it stood the Americans held the advantage but were in a precarious spot.

Fortune Favors Benedict Arnold: As Arnold fell behind the Middle branch Burgoyne dove at the Americans while Fraser’s light troops moved through the woods in an attempt to turn the flank. Initially Burgoyne, leading the Fighting 9th regiment and Canadian auxiliaries captured the 1st Canadian and split the line. A counterattack by Arnold in turn disrupted the 9th and lead to Burgoyne’s death. Arnold’s men made a last push and split the British forces. Fraser fell in battle and British morale hit zero. In only two hours the battle had been decided along Middle branch.

Conclusion: With Riedesel in command of a shattered army, the British no doubt retreated, but probably escape since it was in October that the strategic situation fully collapsed.

British: 800 British, 200 Loyalists, 100 Canadians
American: 500(200 prisoners)

British MVP: The Fighting 9th
American MVP: Arnold (everywhere he was the Americans won the field)

Own Observations: I wasted the Brunswick column and had Fraser out too far while Burgoyne was slightly out of position. Never doubt the power of Arnold.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.