Subject: some suggested rule changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Elphick
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife Jacqui got snotted in her last game by having to buy 3 face-down cards at $8 each which were useless as the bum was in a garden of size 1. Putting her about $20 behind the rest of the pack.

We later found out that you don't have to buy, but it got us thinking of what you could do to mitigate the problem of paying $8 and being the third to choose a share, and here were a couple of her suggestions, and I thought I would throw them out for interest and/or comments.

1. Try replacing the bought shares, so there is always 2 showing.

2. show one less share than players, so for 4 players, there are three face up shares

3. the first person to choose the share pays the $8, and the second pays $5, and the third pays $2. (actually this feels too strong, maybe the first 2 pay $8 and the rest $5, or the first pays $8 and the rest pay $5.)

4. the face-down card is cheaper than the face-up cards, buy a small step.

This is our second game where the share buying has gone very unfairly, and it seems to be the dominant action (you can't do the swap bosses or expand the beergarden actions unless you have majority shares, so you have to buy shares, there is no other road to victory).

We will probably try the game one more time knowing the 'optional share buy' rule and see if that makes a big difference (cause then you have the option of skipping a turn - yay!). but unless we figure a variant, I think it won't see the light of day again, as it feels kinda broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you're not changing the start player every turn (day); this is crucial to make the action choice work fairly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, by all means, rotate the start player!

Also, as a house rule, we play that the first player to act on "buying shares" actually starts a bid of the minimum value if interested, or pass. In the case of 3+ players selecting that action, the first player bids $8, with each successive player increasing the bid or passing. Note that you are not bidding on a particular CARD, you are only bidding for the chance to PICK first. After this, you auction the right to have second choice, again starting at the minimum value. The 3rd and 4th (if there is one) may still purchase a card, sight unseen, for $8 or choose not to purchase one at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quintal
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting mix of power grid and goldbrau with that auctioning scheme...I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telphick wrote:
My wife Jacqui got snotted in her last game by having to buy 3 face-down cards at $8 each which were useless as the bum was in a garden of size 1. Putting her about $20 behind the rest of the pack.

We later found out that you don't have to buy, but it got us thinking of what you could do to mitigate the problem of paying $8 and being the third to choose a share, and here were a couple of her suggestions, and I thought I would throw them out for interest and/or comments.

1. Try replacing the bought shares, so there is always 2 showing.

2. show one less share than players, so for 4 players, there are three face up shares

3. the first person to choose the share pays the $8, and the second pays $5, and the third pays $2. (actually this feels too strong, maybe the first 2 pay $8 and the rest $5, or the first pays $8 and the rest pay $5.)

4. the face-down card is cheaper than the face-up cards, buy a small step.

I think any of these variants would change the game a great deal, far too much for most players. And since you've already admitted that you were screwing up the rule by forcing people to buy shares, I'd strongly recommend playing the rules correctly as written a few times before you start tinkering. Many really good games take more than one play to get the rules down right (Power Grid, Die Macher, any 18xx game, etc).

Quote:
This is our second game where the share buying has gone very unfairly, and it seems to be the dominant action (you can't do the swap bosses or expand the beergarden actions unless you have majority shares, so you have to buy shares, there is no other road to victory).

Whoops, this could be another rule you've been playing wrong. You don't have to own a majority of shares in a business in order to replace its boss. Owning a majority of shares is only required to defend your boss when someone else tries to replace him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.