Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got my wittman expansion I noticed it had a set of vehicle damage tokens, is that just in case the old ones wear out? I have one other expansion (a german one i think) that also has new damage tokens... any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Bascuñana
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I my opinion it's only to have more tokens, nothing more. More vehicles, more tokens.

And in terms of production, perhaps to use all the punchboard space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a mathematician but I wonder if I simply add them to the mix if it will change the percentages of getting certain hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Bascuñana
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of tokens has nothing to do wih the results. You only roll the die and take the corresponding token (1,2,3-4,5 or 6) on the vehicle and apply the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me wonder how you determined vehicle damage before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions have vehicle damage tokens to make sure you have enough for all your heavy vehicles. As they cannot know what expansions you may purchase, just about every expansion that includes a heavy vehicle will include a set of damage tokens.

As someone else already mentioned, you don't pick the token to see what damage you get (especially since the back side of the token is always a 6 (vehicle destroyed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Bascuñana
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:
Makes me wonder how you determined vehicle damage before?

Me too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! I really don't know what I was thinking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the shot resolution system from the old Yaquinto game Armor modified from a hex grid to a square grid. Easy enough if you really that these were originally miniature rules. This allows better differentiation of armor angles and thickness approximations. Using armor penetration data (also from Armor) I was able to create a damage resolution system that uses percentage rolls based on relative position (target to firer using angle off, elevation, possible deflection and spotting) crossed with range to resolve down to one of the damage chits in HoN.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I use the shot resolution system from the old Yaquinto game Armor modified from a hex grid to a square grid. Easy enough if you really that these were originally miniature rules. This allows better differentiation of armor angles and thickness approximations. Using armor penetration data (also from Armor) I was able to create a damage resolution system that uses percentage rolls based on relative position (target to firer using angle off, elevation, possible deflection and spotting) crossed with range to resolve down to one of the damage chits in HoN.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh, it is simple. Armor resolves shots by rolling penetration vs armor thickness. Penetration is calculated as a function of range and armor thickness is a function of horizontal and vertical angles based on (random) hit location. So, a few dice rolls and if the shot hits it kills or damages the vehicle. None of this simple "roll a d6" business! This is a SIMULATION!

A simulation of war as it was in the movies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
None of this simple "roll a d6" business!

This and the fact that range is not really taken into account for an attack (except for the 7-space penalty) are the two things in HoN which I wished would be implemented differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually quite happy with the level of detail and complexity as written in to the rules. I have more detailed games I can play when in the mood for that sort of thing. Sometimes it is fun to just "have at it" and HoN scratches that itch nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I am actually quite happy with the level of detail and complexity as written in to the rules. I have more detailed games I can play when in the mood for that sort of thing. Sometimes it is fun to just "have at it" and HoN scratches that itch nicely.

Can you suggest a game which would be the next logical step if HoN is one's first "war game"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:
martimer wrote:

Can you suggest a game which would be the next logical step if HoN is one's first "war game"?

I'd personally suggestion Columbia Games block wargames, but I've not played too many outside of Victory: The Blocks of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:
martimer wrote:

May I suggest Combat Commander: Europe ?
It has the neatest Rulebook. Card Driven. Hex and Counters. It is the best bridge to wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After HoN? I would go with Conflict of Heroes or Lock 'n Load. Any of the Commands and Colors games (Memoir'44, et al).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah. Conflict of Heroes, specifically AtB2, Solo edition and Firefight generator. Then you never have to talk to a filthy human being again (except when you're called for dinner).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lock 'n Load is a good suggestion (one of my favorite systems!) but the rulebook could look a bit harsh at first.
I would say that Memoir '44 could be set a step BEFORE HoN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.