1 Posts

Hive» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session report: The tomatoe pesto wins in the end rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
flag msg tools
My introduction to this game was that I could play it anywhere, underwater, on the beach or in fact on my kitchen table. I thought I would learn on a table to be just a little different. matt was a quick teacher and we jumped into the game alomst immediatel

The first game was a quick slaughter where I was constantly defending. At some point I realised that I could not win by defending and that my position would become increasingly perilous, but that did not change the facts and I was summarily executed. Nice one Matt.

By the second game I had learnt some lessons and even had a little success. I saw some opportunities to trap his pieces and established some useful defensive mechanisms. The beetles were the key to my defensive strategy and the ants my offensive. Early on my grasshoppers were in good position to hop later in the game, but it was the trapping of two opposition ants that gave me the real advantage in the mid game.

In the end we decided on a draw as the dinner plates, then the pasta and eventually even the tomato pesto bread made it to the table. So the net result was a good draw that we played out over at least half an hour. I learnt some important lessons and can’t wait to try and trap a few more pieces in the very near future. And eventually box in that queen. It will happen, oh yes one day it will.

For now hive is an intriguing proposition to get my head around. Like chess I wonder at the long term viability of a game that really requires time to learn and time to play onlyy to find that one of the two players is usually outmatched in the longrun. Still I look forward to learning a few more tricks of the trade, and the dinner my wife made was the winner on the day.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.