Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I want this game. I was about to buy the 2nd Ed when a friend offered me the 1st Ed plus Upgrade Kit.

What will be different between the two options (apart from the price)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/738666/2nd-edition-review-s...

The upgrade kit gives you the updated second edition size cards as far as i know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is different. I'm not sure if 2nd edition is a larger board, but it has larger spaces in many of the regions and clearer defined boundaries and features. The original board features John Howe art but was a brownish colour, whereas on the newer board the land is green.

If you get first + upgrade and still have the first edition cards, you'd have the option of playing it with the Battles of the Third Age expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is different in the way that some regions are larger and other smaller.

All regions still connect to each other the same way in both edition though (this is the important part).

The Second Edition comes with the Gollum figure, which is not included in the First Edition.

So all you need (if you get First Edition and the upgrade kit with the new larger cards) is to download the Second Edition rules (found here: http://www.warofthering.eu/2nd_ed_down.htm ) and you are ready to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K.
Croatia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I have the German version I bought when I thought I would be able to jury rig English cards to play with a friend who doesn't speak German but it proved too much of a hassle.

Could someone confirm if I understood this correctly.

If I get the Upgrade kit + my German 1st edition I would, effectively have the English language 2nd edition.

Basically, are all cards in the game replaced via the upgrade kit or are some still used from the 1st edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K.
Croatia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks!

Now to find the darn thing somewhere for a normal price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.