Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Churchill» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Arctic Theatre question and A-Bomb question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only playing my first game, and I am wondering if others with more experience, can answer this question. With the exception of the Kusnetzov card, how do the Soviets get naval markers into the Arctic if the other players won't play ball? I'm playing as Churchill against the 2 bots, and unless I decide it is in my interest to help the Soviets out, the bots aren't going to do it as far as I can see.
With regards to the A-Bomb research roll, am I right in assuming that the roll only takes place if the A-Bomb has been one of the topics for discussion, irrespective of who ends up winning the issue?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
forlorn hope wrote:
I am only playing my first game, and I am wondering if others with more experience, can answer this question. With the exception of the Kusnetzov card, how do the Soviets get naval markers into the Arctic if the other players won't play ball? I'm playing as Churchill against the 2 bots, and unless I decide it is in my interest to help the Soviets out, the bots aren't going to do it as far as I can see.

They don't. The Arctic isn't a priority for any of the bots.

Quote:
With regards to the A-Bomb research roll, am I right in assuming that the roll only takes place if the A-Bomb has been one of the topics for discussion, irrespective of who ends up winning the issue?

Correct.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is stopping you from using either your own production marker or an opponents production marker (if you won their issue) to place a naval support marker in the Arctic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also staff card Admiral Kuznetsov
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
Nothing is stopping you from using either your own production marker or an opponents production marker (if you won their issue) to place a naval support marker in the Arctic.

But this can only happen if I play as Stalin against the Churchill bot and Roosevelt bot. If I play as Churchill or Roosevelt, and decide it is not in my interest to help Stalin in the Arctic, the bots will never place any production there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
forlorn hope wrote:
colmenarez wrote:
Nothing is stopping you from using either your own production marker or an opponents production marker (if you won their issue) to place a naval support marker in the Arctic.

But this can only happen if I play as Stalin against the Churchill bot and Roosevelt bot. If I play as Churchill or Roosevelt, and decide it is not in my interest to help Stalin in the Arctic, the bots will never place any production there.


See comment above.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
Note that the Arctic offers lots of value to all three players. No matter who you are there is a strong incentive to get that Theater stocked to 3+

The Soviet advantage is the production and they want 4+ fleets.

The Brits like the German reserve going north on a 6 roll, easing up on the Med front. This won't happen unless 3+ fleets are present.

The US may want to place Pol Alignments in more than just the Med, and this is not possible unless Global markers have been moved. With 3+ the Arctic is now viable.

Don't automatically play as if the Soviets are the enemy.


These are all excellent points and I bolded the last one. One of the challenges that Churchill will present you with is the fastest way between two points is unlikely to be a straight line. Many moves are counter intuitive, which is what I was going for as the history is captured by these seemingly orthogonal moves.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Quote:
With regards to the A-Bomb research roll, am I right in assuming that the roll only takes place if the A-Bomb has been one of the topics for discussion, irrespective of who ends up winning the issue?

Correct.

Note though that you won't roll if it ends up in the center space. A roll is not automatically done just because it is an agenda item. Somebody has to win the discussion in order to roll.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.