Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Rayburn
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired a 1991 copyrighted version of HOTW by Gibsons Games. The box cover art is identical to the artwork pictured for the entry for this game. The rules are very simiilar to ones discussed on this forum, but there are no "Lesser" or "Greater" Event cards. Just Event cards. The cards are all designated to one particular epoch. (Nine cards for Epoch 1, Nine cards for Epoch 2, etc...) The Fleet units are distributed during the expansion phase just like land armies. Is this version the AH version that is frequently mentioned? The rules I read on the AH website are significantly different than the the rules I have. I am just looking for clarification about the version I have and if it plays as well as these other ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Charles - you have an early version of the game, earlier than Avalon Hill's verion, and earlier than "Hasbro Avalon Hill's" version (the latest version).

Gibson rules are fine - close to the 1992 Avalon Hill version (the Monarch Avalon version). What you are calling the Avalon Hill version is the Hasbro version, published in 2001. The Avalon Hill version (1992) has a nicer map board, and some mninor subtle rules changes.

The major change in the Hasbro version is the inclusion of tons of cool plastic miniatures (replacing the paper chits). Oh, the rules were dumbed down a bit, and a lot of the charm was lost in favor of making the game simpler (in a failed effort to make the game faster, more saleable, and, well, simpler).

We never noticed that the game became simpler, but instead use the cool newer plastic bits with the old game board and rules. Bemoan the loss of the distinctive monuments (all monuments now are simply Arc de Triomphes - very nice, though). I of course painted my monuments in distinctive racial colors, to continue using the excellent and non-sensical 'preservation of culture' rule (+2 for a monument of your own color, +1 for a monument of any other color).

Rumor has it that a new verson may be published by some other company down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liums wrote:
Rumor has it that a new verson may be published by some other company down the line.

The Ragnars have stated they are reworking the game in another thread; "Another project is re-producing History of the World in an exciting (wait for it…) new edition.":

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/137912

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
The version you have pre-dates the Avalon Hill version but in most respects they are nearly identical in form and substance. The rules were updated and re formatted, and new box art designed, but the game remained essentially the same. A more extensive remodeling came from the new Hasbro version of Avalon Hill and looks and feels distinctly different yet being at heart still the same game. The newest version, with some effort, can be played using the original system if desired. Folks who have played both have their preferences. The newest version was meant to be somewhat simplified and playable in a shorter period of time. The version preference would probably be more a matter of which one you were exposed to first. It was (and still is) a pretty good game if you like epic "sweep of history" games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Liums wrote:

The Ragnars have stated they are reworking the game in another thread; "Another project is re-producing History of the World in an exciting (wait for it…) new edition.":

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/137912

I remember seeing that somewhere -- probably in the thread you just referenced. I'm glad to see this excellent game being republished. I have the Hasbro version, and I love it. Unbelievable amount of plastice pieces, even for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.