Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules, the wall sections are more-or-less covered, but do they say anything about the barricades, rubble, bins, post boxes and so on? I ask because a Saucer should be able to hover over a square containing a pile of bricks, but physically it cannot sit flat on its base in one.

In other words, thematically a Saucer or Robot, even in some instances a Truck should be able to enter a square containing non-wall scenery, but as the models won't physically fit there are they allowed to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmmm... you know what? I haven't actually had a chance to play with the saucer yet! So I'm not sure what you're talking about without pulling out the game and seeing for myself. Are you saying that in a square where you might have some rubble located, there's not any room for the base of the saucer? (at all?) Or that depending on where in the square the rubble is located, you might not have room for the base? (I.e., if the rubble is in the center of the square, then there's no room to fit the base of the saucer completely in the square).

OK, I'm re-reading your last sentence and now see the greater point you're raising. As far as I know, the only things that blocks passage of a square is:
1) A wall section which is taller than the model that is moving.
2) A full square.

OK, now you've got me looking at the rules (the 2nd set of eyes thing)... I think I may've found your answer... look at pg 7 of Humanity Resists, under "VEHICLE". BTW, pg 8 identifies a saucer as a vehicle wrt occupying squares.

Anyway, pg 7 says, "Trucks cannot move over any walls or debris". It also says that "Saucers ignore scenery by flying or striding over it."

Is that what you're looking for, or did you already see that and the question still stands?

Getting back to the Trucks question, remember from the core rules that you can place the base of a model so that only a portion of it is inside its square. The location of a model depends only on where the center of the model sits. Theoretically, 49% of the model could extend into the adjacent square. Thusly I can see it where a truck can share a square with some rubble scenery as long as when the truck moves it's able to pass through the square so that the center of the truck remains inside the square yet the body of the truck is able to dodge the scenery. If that makes sense?

It all depends on how the scenery is setup for the scenario, doesn't it?

I hope some of the above helps get you to the answer you're looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Are you saying that in a square where you might have some rubble located, there's not any room for the base of the saucer? (at all?)

The saucer is on a tall stand with a very broad base which nearly fills a square, so if the square contains any rubble it'll probably have to sit on top of it, which will probably cause the whole saucer to tip over. Thematically, it hovers, but physically the best you'll get is a precarious balance.

bgm1961 wrote:

Anyway, pg 7 says, "Trucks cannot move over any walls or debris". It also says that "Saucers ignore scenery by flying or striding over it."

This reference to "debris" is possibly the only reference to non-wall scenery in the rules! The second part tells us that robots and saucers are not impeded by scenery (presumably of any kind) so I guess you're meant to just balance your saucers and robots on top and hope for the best? Interestingly it doesn't seem to say how robots move - are they allowed to pass through full squares by "striding over" them? - It doesn't say it can, so as is normal for these rules I have to assume it can't.

bgm1961 wrote:

Theoretically, 49% of the model could extend into the adjacent square. Thusly I can see it where a truck can share a square with some rubble scenery as long as when the truck moves it's able to pass through the square so that the center of the truck remains inside the square yet the body of the truck is able to dodge the scenery. If that makes sense?

Hah! I never thought of this, but I suppose (assuming a truck is classed as a model) that you could have a truck up to 49% forward, back, or to either side of the squares it occupies.

I recommend Humanity Resists scenario 3: I've Gotta Get Me One Of Those! for a good saucer scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.