Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing and got to wondering; is there ever a time I wouldn't want to scheme and/or attempt a Masterplan on headlines when allowed or if playing as the archnemesis?

It seems that regardless of the headline value I would always want to scheme as a nemesis if allowed. But is there any time I shouldn't also declare attempting a masterplan? If I'm the nemesis, I want to complete his masterplan fast and knock my opponent down by 5 points. I don't see it hurting to do both every time (scheme and masterplan) when able other than if the mastermind fails, he cannot attempt that masterplan again this round.

Possibly it might be viable to only scheme is when the vp value of the headline is low and the possibility of being defeated is greater and if you can see that your opposing team might attempt another headline this round that allows to you masterplan. Otherwise I say scheme and attempt a masterplan.

Does anyone have any strategies they use for deciding when to attempt a masterplan and when not to, or do you always go for it?

Hopefully I've been playing correct in that if a mastermind fails in attempting a plan (and can't attempt it again until the next game round), they still scheme in the round when allowed.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
personally I would try not to do my master plan in a lot of cases. You have to weigh up whether it is worth it. Giving a team a power up, particularly the xmen can make them very very hard to defeat. So you have to weigh up the chances of the team beating you. As far as I can tell it is always worth scheming, even if only to get extra villain cards.

In my experience you need to weigh up a few factors
1. how many resource cards are in hand?
-if hey have too many resource cards they may be able to beat you easily and while it can be useful to use these up you need to weigh this against the advantage of the power up
2. What allies do they have?
- it may be worth fighting them in order to reduce their allies so you can hit them next turn. Often Allies are absolute game breakers so making them use them can provide you with an oportunity to nail them in future turns. This may be worth giving a power up for.
3. Are they weak? Can you beat them?
-If you have previously beat the snot out of them with your villain it is almost always worth doing it. Forcing them to fight to stop the master plan can potentially kill them particularly if they are on one wound no matter how powerful they are. Since the game has wild fluxuations of luck it is often worth taking a gamble since the heroes have much more to loose than the villains.
4 Earlier in the turn is better than late in the turn.
- If you kill them early in the turn they can't go after other headlines. This makes it more worth taking them out
5 Earlier in the game is better than late.
- Later in the game heroes tend to have allies and possibly power ups so it is much less appealing to give them further advantage.
6 The third powerup
- The third powerip is by far the most powerful and will potentiall eliminate a player from the game. It is worth taking a bigger risk to get this, but choose a moment when they are weak.
7 Its strategy so it is a judgement call. The more you play the better you will be. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the good ideas. Also, regarding:
Quote:
-If you have previously beat the snot out of them with your villain it is almost always worth doing it. Forcing them to fight to stop the master plan can potentially kill them particularly if they are on one wound no matter how powerful they are. Since the game has wild fluxuations of luck it is often worth taking a gamble since the heroes have much more to loose than the villains.

Doesn't the desire to attempt a masterplan need to be declared at the start of the troubleshooting phase (p.12)? I don't think you can wait to see the outcome of how your villians did before declaring that you're attempting a masterplan (if that's what you meant). Or at the very least, if you did declare attempting a masterplan, you can't back out of it if your villians didn't beat the heroes. It's still the hero's option to attempt fighting the mastermind. This seems to make it more of a gamble for the mastermind.

I'll definitely weigh the options you presented next time I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

Doesn't the desire to attempt a masterplan need to be declared at the start of the troubleshooting phase (p.12)?

Yes. You must decide before the headline has been resolved - thus the best you can do is speculate about how weak they will be.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely right. Sorry don't know what I was thinking (the boredom of work must have numbed my mind). MMM point is correct though you have to plan ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Keller
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought you could only scheme or attempt a masterplan, but not both. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckvt wrote:
I thought you could only scheme or attempt a masterplan, but not both. Am I missing something?

Yep. You can do both. The latest FAQ update finally verified it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.