Subject: Expansion Bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Menard
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
Had a very unusual game last night. On about turn 5 or 6 of a 4 player game, we had low bids to try and play cards first (-1, 0, 3, 8). The player who bid 3 bought a card. The player that bid 8 tried attacking twice and failed.

The result was that there were no new domination markers for the round. The rules say the player placing the most new domination markers (ties go to earlier in the round) gets a bonus card.

We ruled that you had to at least put out one new marker, or you didn't count as placing a marker at all, so no bonus card was awarded.

It was a strange game overall. Genoa bought Caravan instead of shipping on turn 1 to try and get territory for a good card play on turn 2. Barcelona didn't upgrade a ship on turn 2, so the result was that I (Venice) had almost all of Area VI and was poised for Area V to open (and would have gotten it all). So at the end of era 1, Papal Decree on Exploration, followed by another PD on Exploration at the start of era 2. It meant I didn't get Overland East, but nobody could get over and take any of my territory away in area VI. When exploration was available, I got all of Area V anyway, and built up a huge lead.

I triggered the end by buying all advances with about 20 cards left in the 3rd era deck. I was the only one with Ocean Navigation and New World, and won by the largest margin we've ever had in our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exploring new strategy was a huge fail it seems then ...no one going to where the money is is quite bizarre for sure ... games built to make exploration profitable .. infighting for cloth or wine in Europe is a losing proposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Umbrage wrote:
The result was that there were no new domination markers for the round. The rules say the player placing the most new domination markers (ties go to earlier in the round) gets a bonus card.

We ruled that you had to at least put out one new marker, or you didn't count as placing a marker at all, so no bonus card was awarded.

You were correct! The rules [2.2.5] say (my bold):

The player with the most Os in play (minimum of one) ... draws a free card.

In true AoR style this is not, of course, in the Expansion Phase rule section!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.