Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Yoder
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard about Kohle, Kies, & Knete for years, and I like a lot of Sid Sackson's games, so I was excited to try this. Finding others to share my excitement was not easy, but I eventually scavenged three other people as other games ended: J.C., Steve, and John.

The rules are simple and easily explained, so we were soon in the swing of things. Everybody started by grabbing a bunch of cards. Then we became fairly profligate with our card plays, cancelling deals left and right. I had to use several stop cards to force deals through, which turned out to be a mistake since I never drew any more.

As the game progressed it was clear that we had to be more careful with our cards. Since the value of the deals rises as the game progresses, it's painful to draw cards instead of making deals in the later parts of the game. Unfortunately, this was also when we all started running low on cards. John took advantage of this by grabbing two investors for a total of three, or half of those in the game. One of them was mine, and I had already spent my stops. On the strength of this he was able to make at least one deal by himself and include himself in a lot of others.

Eventually things evened out some, and J.C. and I were able to steal investors from John. We were on the last deals of the game, and nobody wanted to draw cards if they had any chance of closing a deal, since the game could end at any time. The last play was a deal between J.C. and I, in which every player used an "I'm the Boss" card. Fortunately mine was the last so the deal went through. Then the die ended the game.

Everybody was muttering about how they certainly didn't win as the game ended. Except maybe John, and when he counted his money, lo and behold, he was in the lead with $46. J.C. and I did better than I expected, however: we each had $44. Steve had $40, definately in the hunt.

Everybody liked the game, which I'm always grateful for when I have to twist arms to get players. It's a fast, fun free for all with a definate mean streak. I like the way the deal breaking cards affect play: it's not always wise to take the lowest bidder as your partner, since the rejected player may scotch your deal for revenge. Your new partner, meanwhile, has little incentive to help fix things for a few measly dollars. I'm definately bringing this one back, and I suspect the next session will be even better now that I know how the game plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.