Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Changing map pieces between missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Lamb
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Changing the map tiles between missions is the slowest and most tedious part of the game for my group. It's sometimes for this reason we have to stop even though everyone wants to keep playing.
I have the pieces stored in a semi-sorted way.

How do you advise switching between missions? Do you see which pieces you already have out? Then put the ones away you don't need and search for the rest that you do need? Even this method still takes a lot of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
We started gathering pieces by number, but have found it faster for the Imperial to generally have the pieces generally sorted by size and pick pieces by size/shape. It seems faster than frantically calling out numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've separated my tiles into 4 Ziploc bags (except for some of the big ones) labeled 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, and 31-40. Then I've found it's fairly simple to put together the next mission while the Rebels look at spending XP and credits. By the time they've decided what they want to buy and get everything organized, the map is setup. Then, once the map is setup, I (as the imperial) can look at spending influence and XP while the Rebels plan a strategy based on what they see in the upcoming mission.

All this becomes easier the more you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rogers
United States
Pahrump
Nevada
flag msg tools
We downloaded the campaign tile guide from the files section here so the Rebel players are putting together the next map while the Imperial player is reading about it and doing his setup. It goes pretty quick when you have three or four people hunting for pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
We choose net mission at the end of each session and the host/owner have it setup when ppl arrive the next time. And ziplockbags 1-10..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Setup before players arrive. The imperial player needs time to prepare for the mission anyway.
2. Build maps, then photocopy them - instant map-build.
3. Sort by number, 1-18, 19-39. After a while it becomes second nature to go through the list at the bottom of the map and place the tiles into their correct locations.
4. Patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frostdaddy79 wrote:
We downloaded the campaign tile guide from the files section here so the Rebel players are putting together the next map while the Imperial player is reading about it and doing his setup. It goes pretty quick when you have three or four people hunting for pieces.

For the first mission, I (as the Imperial) set the map up before everyone arrives. Additionally, I print out the maps from the campaign tile guide for possible additional missions. Then between games, the others can put the tiles together.

So basically, both what frostdaddy said and some of what a1bert said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Espiñal
Portugal
Lagos
Faro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes between 5 - 10 mins to prep the tiles for a mission. Players need playing breaks or else they tend to make more mistakes and rush things... Throw in some cake or snacks in these breaks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I was concerned about setup time, but now that I'm more familiar with the tiles, I only need to selectively find the large tiles. I can grab the smaller ones as I go and map set up is much quicker than in other games I've played. for me it's faster than squad assembly in x-wing. It's faster than every game of Memoir'44 I've ever played regardless of the map.

On balance, set up isn't too slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.