Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got done reading the rules and the game looks really interesting, but there's one thing I'm a little confused about. It seems like the buildings made up of a single cardboard token (the three types of research center, the camp, and the shipyard) allow you to take certain actions (advance on a research track, recruit scientists, and build a ship respectively). The wooden buildings (resource and expertise) are required to build other buildings. But then the prestige buildings don't seem to do anything unique. I get that you get points for building the most buildings, and if you have the most scientists in a region then you get points for the buildings there in addition to the scientists, but all the buildings do that, so what's special about the prestige buildings? It also seems weird that there needed to be three different kinds of these buildings. Is there some way that they're different from each other? Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Acetylene
France
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Jake,

You have different kind of buildings :

4 kind of simple ressources : coal, wind, oil and ore
2 kind of advanced ressources : laboratory and fabrics (+ count for the special counting)

the camp : get scientists
the shipyard : get a new boat

3 kind of research center (coastal, marin and land)

... and the 3 prestige buildings :
plankton farm : permit to place 2 scientist on the board (for majorities)
headquarters and communications : count for the special counting

You will see, each building autorize you to advance or not on research tracks ... and remenber that you can't construct in a zone a second identical building.

Sorry for my english

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response, things are mostly as I thought. Your response has however inspired some new questions, mostly about the different building cards.

1) Are the asterisks only on the cards for advanced resource and prestige buildings?

2)Can any type of building be in any stack, for example could there be a headquarters card that requires two of the basic resources and a different headquarters that requires an advanced resource?

3) How are the research advancements distributed? It seems like some buildings allow you to advance once and others twice. Is this based on the type of building being built or the resource cost?

Hopefully my questions are clear. Your English seems perfectly sufficient to me by the way. Certainly much better than I could do at anything other than English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Acetylene
France
flag msg tools
designer
Hi again,

1) Are the asterisks only on the cards for advanced resource and prestige buildings?

Yes, these cards count for the special "asterisk" zone (I called special counting in my previous post)

2)Can any type of building be in any stack, for example could there be a headquarters card that requires two of the basic resources and a different headquarters that requires an advanced resource?

No, you have the prestige buildings in the "advanced" stack, but one of each is in the "double ressourc"e stack.

3) How are the research advancements distributed? It seems like some buildings allow you to advance once and others twice. Is this based on the type of building being built or the resource cost?

Yes, when a building is good for you (research center, planctonfarm) you a not allowed to advance. When a building give opportunities to the others players (camp, shipyard, advanced ressources), you advance 2 ou 3. In the middle, some building advance once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.