Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/10/06/democrats-crush-re...

Quote:
Yes, these are fighting words, but here goes: Republicans mangle the English language at twice the rate of Democrats.

According to a new study by the grammar-checking app Grammarly, supporters commenting on Democratic candidates’ Facebook pages made an average of 4.2 mistakes per 100 words compared to 8.7 mistakes for supporters of Republican candidates. The Democratic supporters also showed a larger vocabulary, using on average 300 unique words per 1,000 words, while Republicans used only 245.

The trend is starker when broken out by candidate: The five Democratic candidates — Lincoln Chafee, Jim Webb, Bernie Sanders, Martin O’Malley and Hillary Clinton — all get better Facebook grammar scores (in that order) than every Republican except Carly Fiorina, whose supporters posted the best grammar scores of any GOP candidate, tying her with Clinton.

Of the entire field, Chafee supporters are most grammatical (while also being rarest), making 3.1 errors per hundred words. Trump supporters are far more numerous but most grammatically challenged, racking up 12.6 boo-boos per hundred words. Fiorina and Clinton meet in the middle at 6.3.

Since we expect people to bellyache about this study, here’s how Grammarly explained their methodology:

We began by taking a large sample of Facebook comments containing at least fifteen words from each candidate’s official page between April, 2015 and August, 2015. Next, we created a set of guidelines to help limit (as much as possible) the subjectivity of categorizing the comments as positive or negative. Since the point of the study was to analyze the writing of each candidate’s supporters, we considered only obviously positive or neutral comments. Obviously negative or critical comments, as well as ambiguous or borderline negative comments, were disqualified.

We then randomly selected at least 180 of these positive and neutral comments (~6,000 words) to analyze for each candidate. Using Grammarly, we identified the errors in the comments, which were then verified and tallied by a team of live proofreaders. For the purposes of this study, we counted only black-and-white mistakes such as misspellings, wrong and missing punctuation, misused or missing words, and subject-verb disagreement. We ignored stylistic variations such as the use of common slang words, serial comma usage, and the use of numerals instead of spelled-out numbers.

Finally, we calculated the average number of mistakes per one hundred words by dividing the total word count of the comments by the total number of mistakes for each candidate.

So — feel free to complain about the results, but please do so with proper grammar.

Here are the full rankings.

You will have to go to the article for the full list and see where your political peer group ranks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know who else is good with grammer?

Nazi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
You know who else is good with grammer grammar?

Nazi.

Are you trying to indicate you are a Trump supporter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been to any candidate's FB pages. Are the comments typically from supporters? Or do people go there to disagree as well? If the latter, then the study may show the opposite.

It's kind of funny that conservatives are typically told that grammar doesn't matter by liberals and everyone should be free to express themselves how they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I haven't been to any candidate's FB pages. Are the comments typically from supporters? Or do people go there to disagree as well? If the latter, then the study may show the opposite.

It's kind of funny that conservatives are typically told that grammar doesn't matter by liberals and everyone should be free to express themselves how they want.

They only looked at positive or neutral comments for this study:

Quote:
We began by taking a large sample of Facebook comments containing at least fifteen words from each candidate’s official page between April, 2015 and August, 2015. Next, we created a set of guidelines to help limit (as much as possible) the subjectivity of categorizing the comments as positive or negative. Since the point of the study was to analyze the writing of each candidate’s supporters, we considered only obviously positive or neutral comments. Obviously negative or critical comments, as well as ambiguous or borderline negative comments, were disqualified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
Donald wrote:
You know who else is good with grammer grammar?

Nazi.

Are you trying to indicate you are a Trump supporter?

Nope, just setting a trap for nazis. Nazi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

Who says this ... ? I can think of that argument being made in reference to art and literature, like "The Sound and the Fury" which is written in a non-grammatical style to reflect the intelligence levels and thought/speech patterns of the protagonists, but otherwise ... ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had discussion here about the importance of spelling and grammar. My recollection was that it broke pretty much along conservative/liberal lines.

IIRC, some of them started with discussions about profanity.

I also think that the education profession is fairly liberal and grading for spelling and grammar is gone in favor of letting kids freely express themselves. I remember talking to my kids AP English teacher at teacher's conference last year and I asked him when they covered grammatical rules. The answer was that it's only picked up (or not) incidentally, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We get it.

All conservatives are morons and all liberals are smart.

Onto the next thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
We get it.

Onto the next thread...

Only liberals get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
We get it.

Onto the next thread...

Only liberals get it.

And you - a self-righteous liberal - criticize republicans for being arrogant assholes...

Hypocrite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
rinelk wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
We get it.

Onto the next thread...

Only liberals get it.

And you - a self-righteous liberal - criticize republicans for being arrogant assholes...

Hypocrite.

Uh, I think he was being sarcastic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
rinelk wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
We get it.

Onto the next thread...

Only liberals get it.

Hypocrite.

You are a slightly overgrown Siamese disease-ridden pustulated monstrosity.

You're an even bigger bigot hypocrite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
rinelk wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
We get it.

Onto the next thread...

Only liberals get it.

Hypocrite.

It's okay--<whisper>he's a conservative.</whisper>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
rinelk wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
We get it.

Onto the next thread...

Only liberals get it.

Hypocrite.

Careful, it's on its way to becoming an offensive word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
rinelk wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
rinelk wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
We get it.

Onto the next thread...

Only liberals get it.

Hypocrite.

You mean like liberal has been for the past 30 odd years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
rinelk wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
rinelk wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
We get it.

Onto the next thread...

Only liberals get it.

Hypocrite.

*I* wouldn't want to be called it. QED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those grammar "rules" are just invented by left-wing English professors, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
We've had discussion here about the importance of spelling and grammar. My recollection was that it broke pretty much along conservative/liberal lines.

For some of my views, I would suspect that I would be considered "liberal" by many, of not all, the right-wing posters here, and I'd certainly come down on the side of correct spelling and grammar. Such rules are communications protocols, there to ensure one can be effectively understood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.