Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not an easy answer.
First of all: Shadows is a cooperative game. It's all the players against the board itself (kinda like Arkham Horror), with a twist I'll talk about later.

So in this case, all of you have to work together to beat the game. Everyone is a Knight of the Round Table, and Camelot is in trouble indeed. Lancelot is nowhere to be found, the Grail is missing, Excalibur must be recovered, the Black Knight is ready to rumble, and do I hear a Dragon somewhere? (And that's not even all)

So, everyone must get to those quests fast, and resolve them before it's too late.
The mechanics are not too difficult. You must choose an "evil" action in your round (which is the game conspiring against you), and then you can do a good action. I'm not explaining those, since this is a review

Some people might be bothered by the fact that when you get to a quest, you are probably there for several game turns, since you can't solve one right away, and leaving might get everyone into trouble.
That is true, but since it's a teamplay, there's a lot you can do to help your comrades. Giving suggestions and telling them your next move in a big part of the gameplay and fun, so it's not as if you're just sitting there gathering dust. (Tikal, anyone? )

Winning is not easy, so that also adds to the fun (who wants a game you win with ease every time?), and here comes the twist: it's always possible there's a traitor in your midst! Randomly, everyone draws a card in the beginning, and there's only one traitor. So it's also possible everyone is a good knight, but you can never be sure, now can you?

To make a long review shorter: I think this is a highly enjoyable game, and it looks good too. Sure, I've heard people say it's actually a cardgame, that it has too much chrome, but I don't agree with that. And who cares as long as it's fun to play? An added bonus is that you can play it with up to 7 players, where most games only go up to 5.

If you like the setting, a bit of a challenge, and everyone working together (while having a bit of stress because one of them MIGHT not be what you think): try this one out. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shadows over Camelot: what kind of player will like this
I would like to add that children can play it pretty well. My sons (age 8 and 11) like the medieval theme and the figures, although I have noticed that cooperative play is not something that they are used to. I hope they will learn how to help each other and sacrefice something (winning the sword or the grail) for the benefit of all players. It may even come handy in the real word

To sum up, nice game for the whole family. I have just a few games under my belt, so I am not sure about replayability value. But so far so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.