Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at the Ebay listings, and it appears the prices are dropping for most Kickstarter Zombicide items.

Oh, there are still a few hot individual items, but in general the huge prices of yesterday are beginning to disappear.

I realize there are still some inflated prices out there, but in general it looks like the glory days of price gouging are gone.

Of course that could all change the moment the latest wave of Zombicide Black Plague hits the listings, at least for a few weeks.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more popular it get the more people that backed I think so the market gets less and less. I haven't looked in a long time but the only ones I would think would stay high would be season one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes sense - and with them extending the time for pledges (the latest is still going on), there is a much smaller market for those "I missed it" buyers.

Ultimately this could mean less pledge momey because fewer people will be buying multiples to resale on Ebay.

Which in turn could eventually lead to higher prices again.

Ah yes, good old supply and demand vicious circle,..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
The more popular it get the more people that backed I think so the market gets less and less. I haven't looked in a long time but the only ones I would think would stay high would be season one

That sounds right but du you really think that zombicide is getting more popular? I sincerly doubt that. It seem that the game is getting less support than earlier from the community and from the designers too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greasygeek wrote:
thor0298 wrote:

That sounds right but du you really think that zombicide is getting more popular? I sincerly doubt that. It seem that the game is getting less support than earlier from the community and from the designers too.

Well, Black Plague, the 4th kickstarter in the brand, netted a record level of funding. Over 4 million dollars.

To my knowledge, I think only Exploding Kittens has done better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seeing that when Black Plague hits, support for the original ZC will drop and so will interest from the general public. Black Plague will bring in new mechanics, a new theme, and the opportunity to have your favorite historical Heroes from books & movies instead of modern Heroes.

I think the core BP box will be a big hit, and will be the higher-valued commodity if they continue to support BP over basic Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greasygeek wrote:
That sounds right but du you really think that zombicide is getting more popular? I sincerly doubt that.

Season 1: $782K
Season 2: $2.26M
Season 3: $2.85M
Black Plague $4.08M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Greasygeek wrote:
That sounds right but du you really think that zombicide is getting more popular? I sincerly doubt that.

Black Plague $4.08M

Crazy.

I don't like Zombicide at all.

To me a Zombie game should eliminate all movement and get to the core of it all.

Smash heads. All of them without movement or silly lines of sight etc...

Run, Fight, or Die! 30 minutes and then back to the more serious games.

No wonder Richard Launius made this one. KISS principle really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Plague $4.08M

This does show interest is still there.

However, this also means more people are becoming aware of the Zombicide Kickstarters, which results in lower need for super inflated prices on Ebay.

By the way - I love Run, Fight Or Die!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
Black Plague $4.08M

This does show interest is still there.

However, this also means more people are becoming aware of the Zombicide Kickstarters, which results in lower need for super inflated prices on Ebay.[/b]

Exactly. More people in the kickstarters means supply is up and demand is down.

In addition, there are 50 characters available at retail. Plenty to play with so there is less demand for the 50 promo characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope there is still some eBay action left. I bought a second pledge so I would have enough zombies to avoid extra activations.

I need to sell everything else just to cover the cost of postage to Australia.

I will probably stick the extra tiles, hero box, dashboards, promos, dice, dice tower, exclusives etc. straight onto eBay and let the market decide what the price is. I would expect most people to already have enough of everything if they backed the kickstarter so I am not looking to get rich off ebaying but there is no point keeping extra items that will never get used.

The Kickstarter Exclusive 'Grom and Thalia' might get a bit more interest but people have had plenty of opportunity to stock up on them during the campaign and late pledge period.

If I thought it was going to be a money maker I would have bought another pledge but with 21,000 of each KS exclusive I don't think they are going to be that exclusive in the end. All depends on how well the game sells at retail and if all the people buying the game from shops want to buy the extras. I need to get over $200 for the extras before I see any profit from the sale so at the moment I am just looking at this as a way of cutting my losses on buying additional Zombies and Wolvez.

I will keep the extra zombie activation and equipment cards so I can tailor the type of games we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My guess is you will probably be able to almost double your initial investment for Black Plague, at least for a few months, if you sell all the KS exclusives with it.

There are always a few people who will miss the Kickstarter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
volnon wrote:
I have been looking at the Ebay listings, and it appears the prices are dropping for most Kickstarter Zombicide items.

Oh, there are still a few hot individual items, but in general the huge prices of yesterday are beginning to disappear.
Eh, prices may not be at their peak, but they also aren't cratering. Season 1 stuff has always been pricey, Season 2 stuff less so, and Season 3 stuff was barely ever going to net you a ton of cash from the start. Those 3 maxims still hold true, so in that regard I don't see prices changing that much. Basically I think you're seeing some people dump their "modern era" Zcide stuff in preparation for the Black Plague releases. Just like after a few medieval-era releases people will dump it when the sci-fi version of Zombicide gets released.

volnon wrote:
I realize there are still some inflated prices out there, but in general it looks like the glory days of price gouging are gone.
I'll never understand the boardgamegeek mentality of "OMG! This is GOUGING!" Literally every collectible has a price. Is charging $1.2 million for a 4" square Picasso considered "gouging?" Is a rare Maserati for $3.2 million considered "gouging?" With ZCide, it's never been anything more than simple supply & demand: Some people got in on the ground-floor and have promo figs that other people who arrived later couldn't get. Prices occur naturally after that. It isn't bread, or water, or plywood after a hurricane. It's a luxury item, but the way BGG'ers squeal about being "gouged" is really puzzling, especially when the Base Set is readily available at virtually every game store on earth.

I just don't know when ZCide became the poster-child for peoples' irrational hatred of supply-and-demand.
It's been three years since ZCide S1 and there is no gun to your head commanding you to buy Season 1 El Cholo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a hater - jeez, I've made a few bucks on Zombicide re-sell myself...

With that said, I feel calling a spade a spade is the right thing to do. Call it gouging or taking advantage of a situation, charging 100 bucks for an item that might have cost 75¢ to manufacture, and was given out "free" as a bonus if you invested in buying a game months before it was released, THAT is gouging.

No big deal. No one HAS to buy it, but the price is pretty absurd, and takes advantage of people with an OCD illness (like myself, before medication).

Put all the lipstick you want on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
THAT is gouging.

Except that it's not. These are luxury goods, not necessities.

Cost of materials has no bearing on the price people can ask for (and receive) for a high-demand, low-supply collectable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the secondary market for something like this doesn't give a flip about manufacturing costs.

volnon wrote:

Put all the lipstick you want on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Except when you are mistaken about it actually being a pig. Maybe you just put lipstick on a tapir. They kinda look like pigs. Easy mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
At its peak, probably early 2013 or so, the season 1 complete set went regularly between $1600-1800 on ebay. Somebody here reports selling it at $1800.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/blog/580108.page
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1062740/kickstarter-epic-fa...

I did an assessment and ran the numbers, buying everything right now on ebay would be somewhere between $1800 to $1900. Dave alone goes for $200+. So yes, it's not at its peak anymore, however, it still holds value. Several full sets of all season 1-3 exclusives have sold up to $1650 after fees from the time I've monitored over the past year.

So yeah, now three seasons of exclusives together fetch lower than what used to be the peak at one point with just one season's worth of content, but as long as everybody is happy in the transaction that's what counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.