Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We sat down last night to teach Zach Shadowfist. We just used the Year of the Dragon starters without changes as our decks, which is nice and easy and gives fun games. We drew randomly - Zach got the evil Architechts, I was going to be the equally evil Lotus, and Lisa would take charge of the chi powered Guiding Hand.
Zach and Lisa started peacefully putting out a site and a character or two, but I had two Kun Kans in my hand (who gain power based on burning sites for victory) so I decided I might as well start the violence rolling - I would be hoping to burn sites and wouldn't worry too much about holding mine. This led to a string of small characters whacking each other over the next turn or two. Zach held off a little, and got enough power to bring out the cyborg CHAR and soup him up with a Buro Godhammer. Lisa had one or two low power characters, and I had been trying to save up, so CHAR was able to waltz over and sieze one of my sites without resistance. On his next attack though, Lisa sent a red monk to stop him. I joined in, and we brought him down to 1 fighting, then I finished him off (after he damaged Lisa's target site...mean of me, but hey, I was playing eunuch demon cultists, so what do you expect?) with a shattering fire. Somewhere in the chaos I was able to get revenge on the Architects and burned one of Zach's Stone Gardens. Lisa looked like she would step into the power vacuum with a souped up red monk, but Zach nerve gassed him. I brought out a Kun Kan, but this was eclipsed by another big bad - Prototype X, an Architect abominatio, who smashed Kun Kan and was left barely alive. He also didn't last long - while Zach had good defense for him, Lisa tossed out a few gardeners. Gardeners don't fight particularly well, but Prototype X is very vulnerable to chi - every chi character in the game drops his fighting by 1. Gardeners produce chi. X suddenly keeled over without a fight! I thought this would let me grab the game - I brought out a new Kun Kan and whacked one of Lisa's sites. She warned me I was giving the game to Zach, but I was confident I could take out most of his characters with a discerning fire - it destroys cards that share a designator, and courtesy of his Arcanowave Reinforcer, all his cards were abominations! However, I should have listened - I misjudged the cost of the cards and couldn't play it! Zach pulled out a huge swarm of little guys on his turn, and we couldn't stop him swarming over the almost gone site and claiming victory!

We had a rematch later that evening. Swapping decks around and using the two that we had left out the first time, I got the Ascended, Lisa had the Architechs and Zach would lead the brave but outgunned Dragons. We got off to a slow start with all of saving up a bit. I used a covert operation to rid Lisa of a Nerve Gas...dangerous stuff that! Zach went for the first assault with a fighting 4 netherworld Vet. he looked nasty for a moment, until I pulled out Sting of the Scorpion, who calmly snuck over and poisoned him.
Next turn, things suddenly got very nasty. I ghad enough power to play Bull Market, which gives everyone 5 power. I brought out Sam Mallory, a really tough Lodge character who gets toughers as he gets hurt. He promptly ran out and got a site for me...then I realized I was a twit, since I could have played another site first and won! Zach and Lisa both brought out big bads of their own - Zach had Tricia Kwok with a Pump Action Shotgun, and Lisa had CHAR with a Robot Arm and Buro Godhammer! This combo took back a site from me, and we all spent a round of two in a standoff staring at the power the others had. It looked to be a big brawl coming up, but the Ascended don't like to fight fair - getting out a forth site one turn, I used a Shadowy mentor to sieze control of CHAR! Alongside Sam and another Sting they descended like a meteor on the Dragons. Tricia was neutralized by Operation Killdeer, and the game was mine. A very quick game, with an underhanded but thoroughly in character win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Howell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
StormKnight (#19369),

Agreed, it was fun and nice to learn knowing that one of you wasn't holding a vastly overpowered deck.

However, I found there is a lot of scheming and ganging up in this game which I never liked, but it was enjoyable, thanks for teaching me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.