Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Cooke
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first visit to Essen, but it's become pretty apparent that I should avoid visiting Spiel on Saturday.

Has anyone got thoughts on what to do with my Saturday?

The things I'm looking at doing at the minute are;
1) Spend the day in the Unperfekthaus playing games
B) Visit Dortmund, have a wander around the town, visit some breweries and drink beer
iii) Visit Dusseldorf, have a wander around the town, visit some breweries and drink beer
Four) Visit Munster (where I was born), have a wander around the town, visit some breweries and drink beer

I'll be on public transport, staying centrally in Essen so that may affect things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that bad to go to Spiel, but if you do decide to go to Düsseldorf take the S6 to avoid public transportation trouble due to the fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkCooke wrote:
This is my first visit to Essen, but it's become pretty apparent that I should avoid visiting Spiel on Saturday.

Might not be so bad as you fear - the Big Catan game will draw a lot of people away from the regular halls and there's at least 20% more floorspace than last year. Provided the number of visitors doesn't increase too much Saturday should be do-able
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
I always visit Spiel on Saturday, too and not only on the days before and after. I don't find it as bad as it sounds around here on BGG and I absolutely don't like crowded places normally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay in the hotel and play the games you bought the days before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
This will be my fourth year and I've never felt like Saturday is so much worse than the other days that I wouldn't want to be at the fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Saturdays used to be extremely crushy but I think the show is now always during school holidays, spreading the load better over all four days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
Saturdays used to be extremely crushy but I think the show is now always during school holidays, spreading the load better over all four days.
Afaik school holidays are only in Thüringen and NRW in the time of this year's Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three years ago, when I went to Essen, I took the Saturday off to see the Cathedral in Cologne. It was well worth it, and very accessible via train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Inserauto & Maria Angela Rastetter
Italy
Bagheria (PA)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
I use this thread so i don't have to open a new one

A friend of mine will be there saturday too and asked me: The fair opens at 10 am. But the ticket booth? It's better to go before that time to avoid the crowd?

Is there a thread to see which games are sold out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say go to the halls. It is not all that bad. Imho thursday morning feels just as crowded. I always buy a four day ticket online, but from what I have seen, ticket queues do not seem to long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there another thread like this with the same question? *shrug*

I'll be at the fair. I've been there for years on all four days, and there's no real problem. Hall 7 might be the place to be on saturday. Many people will not even know it exists, as it's on the other side of the Galeria. It's the "Geekzone", not only because BGG is there. There will be more people than in the past (until 2012) or in hall 4 (2013/14), but I'd bet, it will be less crowded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Love
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like theme parks or Halloween go to http://movieparkgermany.de/en

The Halloween stuff is excellent. About a 20 minute train ride from Essen central station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
How about staying in Essen and going to the famous Zollverein?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollverein_Coal_Mine_Industria...

Also the Museum Folkwang - way better than Numberwang.

Finally, the park right by the Messe, Gruga Park, is very nice and worth wandering in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This year I'd say go to the fair, As eddy said the catan will draw a lot of people, so maybe visit the zeche in the morning and go to the fair after noon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinz Kiosk
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
How about staying in Essen and going to the famous Zollverein?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollverein_Coal_Mine_Industria...

Also the Museum Folkwang - way better than Numberwang.

Finally, the park right by the Messe, Gruga Park, is very nice and worth wandering in.

I second all of this. The Folkwang had a really good show last year same time as Essen. If you're staying anywhere between Messe and Essen HBF you can easily walk to the Folkwang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
This is my first time at Spiel, and so far it seems like there is plenty of space upstairs for people who want to play...but it has been challenging to find other people who want to play in English. I wonder if Unperfekthaus would be a better experience for an introverted non-German gamer like me, now that I'm pretty much done shopping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cooke
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips, I think I'm going to head out to the mining museum in the morning (only a few stops out on the same line as my hotel), then go have aa wander around Essen centre. I'm then going to follow the Kulturpfad to the Folkwang. Depending on the time I may pop into the show later on, but going to finish up gaming in the Unperfkthaus after unsuccessful attempts at getting a game last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AAR : Saturday was perfectly ok compared to the bad old days - there was plenty of room to move around. Spiel has grown in size in the last 10 years, but not seen an equal growth in attendees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
AAR : Saturday was perfectly ok compared to the bad old days - there was plenty of room to move around. Spiel has grown in size in the last 10 years, but not seen an equal growth in attendees.

Exactly this. We were quite suprised as how "empty" the halls were on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sunday morning was odd. I felt like I was the only person in hall seven until twelve. It got busier later but it was eerily quiet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
Sunday morning was odd. I felt like I was the only person in hall seven until twelve. It got busier later but it was eerily quiet!

That's probably because everybody was traipsing around in hall 3 . There has to be a way to spread the crowds around better, but I suppose none of the big guns will want to give up their prime spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
We had the exact same feeling, since we headed directly to hall 7 on sunday. It was somehow creepy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
EarlyFlash wrote:

That's probably because everybody was traipsing around in hall 3 . There has to be a way to spread the crowds around better, but I suppose none of the big guns will want to give up their prime spot.

At least they should add a little more free space at the entrance. Or create a central passage behind the glass doors. I won't say that they do it on purpose, but many people stand right behind. I guess most of them just need orientation.

And yes, sunday felt quite empty, especially in hall 7. I'm curious, how many visitors there have been in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.