Popular Tags: [View All]
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might as well have been posted almost anywhere else, but is relevant here, because I just did that oh so important SECOND reading of the rulebook...
Every time I break in a new game, I start by reading the rulebook, from cover to cover, at least once, but sometimes twice, depending on length and complexity. And then, after playing the game, once or twice, I read the whole thing AGAIN, and that´s when all the little pieces fall into place, and make sense! You know, when theoretical and practical knowledge combine. When I did this for Battlelore, I realised that three points in the rules, regarding Lore, pursuit and terrain effects for hills, had been played wrong, but are now, off course, clarified!
How many of you do this, the SECOND reading, that is, and how many resort to other methods, like flicking frantically through the book every time you play, or post rulequestions here on the Geek, that usually start with: "AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!! I know it´s in the book, but I just can´t find it..." ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do exactly the same! And for Battlelore too.

I found that I only missed one rule - about when Short Swords attack cavalry ignore one Shield. That's not bad for me becuase sometimes there are several rules missed.

But I agree that it's the best way for me to cement the rules in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always do a second reading with rules. It does depend a bit on the game, because the more tighter Eurogames usually don't require a second reading. (The more fiddly, the more readings required) Battlelore has quite a consistent system, but neverheless the size of the game makes a second reading a must. Marvel Heroes required at least three readings of the rules, to give an example of poorly written rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. Man
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often, I need a second reading for all the seperate elements to fall into place properly. Sometimes, it's difficult to see how different rules interact on first reading. On your second reading, you should have a bit of a framework to place all the seperate rules, which makes it easier to spot the interactions of the rules. Which makes them more logical and easier to remember as well as easier to spot rules you've missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
itchyrichy wrote:
about when Short Swords attack cavalry ignore one Shield.

You haven't been using the little reference cards, have you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Santa Rosa
California
msg tools
I played the first time after one reading of the rules necessary for the first campaign. I read later chapters as necessary when new elements were introduced to a scenario.

I'm the type that flips back through the pages during play if there is anything I'm unclear about. When my gf and I introduced lore into the game there were some long turns while I booted up the laptop to check the DoW Lore Cards Compendium. We both feel a win isn't worth much if you didn't follow the rules. We can get quite competitive in our games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
No doubt about it! Reading the manual a second time ALWAYS seems to point out something I completely overlooked.

For Battlelore we completely overlooked the Battle Back option for BOLD troops. As you can imagine, this COMPLETELY changed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:

For Battlelore we completely overlooked the Battle Back option for BOLD troops. As you can imagine, this COMPLETELY changed the game.

I made the same mistake. I assumed all units battle back as in CC:A. They don't. Only BOLD units do.

Also I somewhat flubbed the banner/retreat rules. Again I was thinking CC:A and had units retreating multiple hexes like crazy. Only frightend units do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
Also I somewhat flubbed the banner/retreat rules. Again I was thinking CC:A and had units retreating multiple hexes like crazy. Only frightend units do.

Multiple flags will run units multiple hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Multiple flags will run units multiple hexes.

That's true. More precisely what I mean is that in CC:A units tend to retreat their full movement PER FLAG. So most infantry retreats 1 hex per flag, light units (except auxilia) and warriors retreat 2 hexes per flag, and cavalry retreat 2, 3, or 4 hexes per flag. This can be devastating to the cavalry guys as lone units often get chased off the board.

In BattleLore, most everyone retreats 1 hex per flag. Only the frightened units retreat multiple hexes per flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
More precisely what I mean is that in CC:A units tend to retreat their full movement PER FLAG.

Ah. Never played it, so it never struck me as something to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
This might as well have been posted almost anywhere else, but is relevant here, because I just did that oh so important SECOND reading of the rulebook...

My "Second-Read-Revelation" (SRR):

Mounted units start with only THREE figures, not four. Those poor archers in Agincourt never had a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
jtspecial wrote:

My "Second-Read-Revelation" (SRR):

Mounted units start with only THREE figures, not four. Those poor archers in Agincourt never had a chance.

Ouch! That's just cruel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistaken-rule confession: I thought cavalry could continue pursuit until they didn't force a defeat or retreat, instead of just once. Didn't even catch that on second reading: someone pointed it out to me when I wrote a session report....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.