Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gear Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Downey
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is gear in the game limited to the actual number of cards in the box. I have noticed that every piece of gear (except the starting gear) only comes in threes. Does this mean that only 3 survivors can ever have that specific gear? It seems counter intuitive to the purpose of the game (crafting) if this is the case.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
We're a little torn on this one.

I swear I saw a comment from Adam that gear is not limited by the cards (except for unique gear), and that you would just use proxies. However, I can't recall where I saw the comment.

On the other hand, you will see plenty of others tell you that yes, the gear is limited to the cards, but there's no rule anywhere that says that's the case.

To me, it doesn't make any sense for the gear to be limited. If you have the resources, you should be able to craft as much of whatever you want. It's not like "Oh well, I already MADE 3 Rawhide vests. I don't really remember how to make more! You'll need to pick something else"


EDIT: Confirmed by Adam, you can craft more than what's in the box!


Quote:
Sure you can! Only unique gear is limited, just as you thought.

--
Adam Poots
Sent with Airmail

On October 7, 2015 at 3:41:31 PM, Travis Williams (travisw@techraptor.net) wrote:
> Adam,
>
> Is non-unique gear limited to just the 3 that have cards in the box?
>
> Example: Can you craft 4 Monster Grease?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Travis Williams
> Tabletop Editor at TechRaptor
> @Saiwyn_Hy
[/q]
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mongan
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Elyklord wrote:
We're a little torn on this one.

I swear I saw a comment from Adam that gear is not limited by the cards (except for unique gear), and that you would just use proxies. However, I can't recall where I saw the comment.

On the other hand, you will see plenty of others tell you that yes, the gear is limited to the cards, but there's no rule anywhere that says that's the case.

To me, it doesn't make any sense for the gear to be limited. If you have the resources, you should be able to craft as much of whatever you want. It's not like "Oh well, I already MADE 3 Rawhide vests. I don't really remember how to make more! You'll need to pick something else"


I agree completely with this. Actually this was part of the reason for myself getting another box (ok, ok, I also freaking love the miniatures and need backups in case of disaster).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the both posts. There is no reason for gear to be limited in a game ABOUT crafting gear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet myself and a couple others here seem to recall Adam saying they are piece-limited, and that 3x everything was purposeful because he wanted to force some amount of variety.

Personally, to me, unless a game specifically says it isn't piece-limited, then it's piece-llmited. Amount of provided components is a design choice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
We're a little torn on this one.

I swear I saw a comment from Adam that gear is not limited by the cards (except for unique gear), and that you would just use proxies. However, I can't recall where I saw the comment.

On the other hand, you will see plenty of others tell you that yes, the gear is limited to the cards, but there's no rule anywhere that says that's the case.

To me, it doesn't make any sense for the gear to be limited. If you have the resources, you should be able to craft as much of whatever you want. It's not like "Oh well, I already MADE 3 Rawhide vests. I don't really remember how to make more! You'll need to pick something else"



Yup yup, same. There isn't any rule going either way so I at this point I would say you can house rule it however you want. We are playing it as its not limited for the same reasons as the people posting... if you have the resources why not be able to make them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:
Yet myself and a couple others here seem to recall Adam saying they are piece-limited, and that 3x everything was purposeful because he wanted to force some amount of variety.

Personally, to me, unless a game specifically says it isn't piece-limited, then it's piece-llmited. Amount of provided components is a design choice.


And I recall him saying it wasn't. But neither side has been able to produce the proof, lol. I'm hoping that maybe someone on this thread will show up with the comment in question.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only gear that's explicitly limited are the Unique ones.

I think it's pretty silly to expect all gear is limited below the number of pieces provided in the boxed set, and hugely below the number provided in the Survivor pledge. That seems like a ton of extra bits purely for the sake of allowing you to mix up bits (i.e. 8 lion armor characters for only 3 or so available sets?)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you can create whatever house rules you like. As far as proof, it is always the case that game rules don't tell you what you can't do. It's unreasonable to expect a rule saying you may not proxy extra gear cards, just as it would be unreasonable for you to expect a rule that says you may not move your piece on the board between turns, or you may not provide a third knight in chess.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
The only gear that's explicitly limited are the Unique ones.

I think it's pretty silly to expect all gear is limited below the number of pieces provided in the boxed set, and hugely below the number provided in the Survivor pledge. That seems like a ton of extra bits purely for the sake of allowing you to mix up bits (i.e. 8 lion armor characters for only 3 or so available sets?)


It would actually be 10 lion armor characters


I has thought he said it was limited, but the only thing I can easily find on the subject is him saying 3 of most types of gear was plenty for groups of 6. The comment didn't address it from a rules stand point.

edit -in the rules as written since it's not specifically addressed the rules say go with whatever hurts you most until you hear otherwise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
in the rules as written since it's not specifically addressed the rules say go with whatever hurts you most until you hear otherwise.
That's a very fair point. Yeah, I guess that makes sense for now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hypothetical: you resist during the Armored Strangers event. Your best survivor lands the killing blow, and gets cursed. He gains the chest piece. Not wanting to lose your best survivor, you put him on the bench, saving him for the BIG things like legendary monsters. Eventually the Kings Men return, and you fight them of again. Again, the survivor who lands the killing blow (a different one, you didnt want to risk having to trigger aftermath on the old one), and again they get the chest piece! So once again, you temporarily retire them. Finally, years later, the kings man returns, and you fight him off. Another survivor lands the killing blow, and gets the chest AGAIN!


These were some of your settlements best survivors, so you decide to send them all out on a hunt togeter, to hunt down a legendary monster.

There are only teo copies of the cursed chest in the game.

Which survivors get them, and which one is now magically immune to their condition? Cause i'm pretty sure ALL of them get cursed, and one just has to use a proxy now
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
in the rules as written since it's not specifically addressed the rules say go with whatever hurts you most until you hear otherwise.
That's a very fair point. Yeah, I guess that makes sense for now.


If this is true, then it rewards people with multiple copies of the game. That's why I like playing gear as unlimited outside of unique gear. And thematically, it makes sense to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why, exactly does it do that? Wouldn't the limiting of the factor still be the core game set?

The assumption isn't "you can have as much gear as you have cards" but "you can have as much gear as the core game provides." By your logic, one should also incorporate settlement event, monster AI/damage location, etc. from a second copy of the game, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
halfwing wrote:
Hypothetical: you resist during the Armored Strangers event. Your best survivor lands the killing blow, and gets cursed. He gains the chest piece. Not wanting to lose your best survivor, you put him on the bench, saving him for the BIG things like legendary monsters. Eventually the Kings Men return, and you fight them of again. Again, the survivor who lands the killing blow (a different one, you didnt want to risk having to trigger aftermath on the old one), and again they get the chest piece! So once again, you temporarily retire them. Finally, years later, the kings man returns, and you fight him off. Another survivor lands the killing blow, and gets the chest AGAIN!


These were some of your settlements best survivors, so you decide to send them all out on a hunt togeter, to hunt down a legendary monster.

There are only teo copies of the cursed chest in the game.

Which survivors get them, and which one is now magically immune to their condition? Cause i'm pretty sure ALL of them get cursed, and one just has to use a proxy now


If you followed the same rules as written then none of your survivors are magically immune. The most punishing interpretation of the uncovered rule is that lacking the third chest you just can't field all three of them at once.

dorktron2000 wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
in the rules as written since it's not specifically addressed the rules say go with whatever hurts you most until you hear otherwise.
That's a very fair point. Yeah, I guess that makes sense for now.


If this is true, then it rewards people with multiple copies of the game. That's why I like playing gear as unlimited outside of unique gear. And thematically, it makes sense to me.


There are no rules covering combining two core sets. Therefore you may not combine them in anyway that makes the game easier. So even if you had two sets by the current rules as written you'd still be just as limited as someone with one set.

A FAQ could change that of course and everyone is perfectly free to play however they want regardless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had this argument with my buddy and Adam was kind enough to answer it for me.

See below...


Sure you can! Only unique gear is limited, just as you thought.

--
Adam Poots
Sent with Airmail

On October 7, 2015 at 3:41:31 PM, Travis Williams (travisw@techraptor.net) wrote:
> Adam,
>
> Is non-unique gear limited to just the 3 that have cards in the box?
>
> Example: Can you craft 4 Monster Grease?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Travis Williams
> Tabletop Editor at TechRaptor
> @Saiwyn_Hy
11 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NerdyRaptor wrote:
I just had this argument with my buddy and Adam was kind enough to answer it for me.

See below...


Sure you can! Only unique gear is limited, just as you thought.

--
Adam Poots
Sent with Airmail

On October 7, 2015 at 3:41:31 PM, Travis Williams (travisw@techraptor.net) wrote:
> Adam,
>
> Is non-unique gear limited to just the 3 that have cards in the box?
>
> Example: Can you craft 4 Monster Grease?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Travis Williams
> Tabletop Editor at TechRaptor
> @Saiwyn_Hy


And a shiny geekgold to you sir, thank you! I'll update my first response on this thread in case anyone misses this
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an ongoing FAQ thread going on? This info should be added to that as well.

Edit: Found it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Is there an ongoing FAQ thread going on? This info should be added to that as well.

Edit: Found it.


Yeh there is... tho I dont see a lot of responses backed with actual "Poots Messages" and more of what we saw in this thread.


NerdyRaptor wrote:
I just had this argument with my buddy and Adam was kind enough to answer it for me.

See below...


Sure you can! Only unique gear is limited, just as you thought.

--
Adam Poots
Sent with Airmail

On October 7, 2015 at 3:41:31 PM, Travis Williams (travisw@techraptor.net) wrote:
> Adam,
>
> Is non-unique gear limited to just the 3 that have cards in the box?
>
> Example: Can you craft 4 Monster Grease?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Travis Williams
> Tabletop Editor at TechRaptor
> @Saiwyn_Hy



Thanks so much for providing this and settling this issue!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.