Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Quirk
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or at least a partial one. There was a hearty 11 person attendance at the latest session of the Kanata Board Gamers, so we split into 3 tables. I ended up deeply involved in a game of Goa so my attention of the other tables was extremely limited. I know Puerto Rico, Hansa, and China hit the other tables. I believe Korey won Hansa but I am at a lost at what happened in any of those games. I leave it up to the many other attendees to fill in the details!

For Goa, it was Sheridan, Kevin, Asaad, and me. The red tiles got picked up pretty early, with me getting free ships, Kevin getting free money, and Sheridan getting free spices.

I went adventuring as much as I could and had my expedition track maxed out in no time. Sheridan opened the "First Bank of Sheridan" with his fast money track and became our local benefactor, outbidding most people on the auctions or guarunteeing the price was driven up. Asaad focused on spices. "Kevin of all trades" increased all his tracks.

By the end of the game, everyone had all 4 colonies up and plantations became fairly worthless on the board. The end game was ... interesting. I was sitting on a load of money after losing out on every auction the previous round. I bought the first player marker for the free extra action. Sheridan bid high on my auction (can't remember what it was) which gave me a guarunteed win to buy his 2 extra actions tile. Thinking I had no further use for money since I wasn't going to have the highest amount at the end, I bid all my money.

During my turn I drew the expedition card to advance tracks for money (doh!). Asaad used an expedition card to turn in 11 unused spices for 33 ducats and had the highest money at the end of the game. I increased my spices and money to level 3, giving me another extra action. With 4 extra actions for the turn, I maxed out my ship colony.

Final scores:
Me 37
Kev 34
Asaad 20
Sheridan 19

My second playing of Goa and I still like it! Lots of "ah ha" moments for me still, which means I'll be playing this one for a while.

Steve came over after Sheridan left. We only had 1/2 hour before closing so he pulled out Perudo. This one is fast, it's fun, and there's just enough probability involved to keep me interested. You can play this with a handful of dice and some cups, but I may break down and get an "official" set just so I have one available to pull out at a moment's notice without having to dig for dice. Kevin quickly put his bluffing skills to the test and was booted out in short order. Asaad followed a little while later, leaving Steve and I with 3 dice left. In the end, I came through with only 2 dice, but still rolling.

Finally, I pulled out Tamsk. I haven't got to play my latest Christmas preset yet, so I just wanted to show it off. After I moved a few pieces in demonstration, Kevin and I started playing with board as it was and he smoked me pretty good. I'll be tryingit again!

Now, anyone want to fill me in on the other games so I know what else went on? (And what I should try to play in the future?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sean, Bill, and I were the trio playing China. I was far too ambitious with my placement of emissaries in early game, and after I discovered and consequently revealed that I no longer had any emissaries to place, it was pretty brutal as I was quickly out-emissaried and basically quarantined to my three territories of early development. Initially I didn't think the 'points for road building' would be very relevant (and was stymied at every turn when I tried, and I stymied others when I could), but as it turns out, the game ended Bill 58, Sean 52, and Mark 51... Bill had earned 8 bonus points by roads and Sean 4 (and zero for me!). So road points were, in fact, a key element of Bill's victory.

Then Steve broke out Perudo and joined Sean, Bill, and I. Sean took a substantial lead in this one, still having 4 dice remaining when Steve exited the game, followed by Bill. Though I was outnumbered 4 to 2 in dice when Sean and I were the last players left, I got three rolls in a row of pairs, and each time my two dice being paired allowed me to make a bid that Sean challenged on and lost (he couldn't improve the bid safely anyway). Once I had a 2 to 1 die lead, the end was inevitable. I won by challenging a bid that I knew was impossible.

Then I had to depart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.