Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to painting miniatures I am all thumbs. Everyone says it's no big deal but when you own a large collection of unplayed games I have to set priorities! laugh

Any suggestions as to how and where I can find an aspiring young painter or retired individual that would paint several dozen miniatures from various games. I'm not looking for show piece quality but neither do I want sloppy craftsmanship. What would be a reasonable rate for painting at least 24 pieces, $1.50 a figure? I prefer to do this locally so I wouldn't have to bear the expense of shipping costs. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:
What would be a reasonable rate for painting at least 24 pieces, $1.50 a figure?

You're not even in the ballpark. For perspective even the Sri Lankan sweatshop outfit with dodgy reviews that shall not be named gets more than that.

I've gotten about a half dozen quotes over the years from various painting services and $4 is typical for discount outfits with $3 being the very least if you're ordering in bulk. (100s of units)

Unless you're exceptionally lucky you'll have a hard time finding a local hobbyist for even $5 a fig.

Just a sloppy tabletop paint job on a small mini is still going to take at least 15-20 minutes per fig between priming, painting, and finishing. and you're not going to find anyone with even the most basic skill willing to do work for less than $6 an hour. (not to mention their cost in paints and supplies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
chiefsachem wrote:
What would be a reasonable rate for painting at least 24 pieces, $1.50 a figure?

Unless you're exceptionally lucky you'll have a hard time finding a local hobbyist for even $5 a fig.

Well that certainly puts things into perspective. I did not know.

So do I post a request at a local hobby shop and hope I will find an independent hobbyist that would be willing to charge less than a professional painting service? I'm open to ideas. I could offer between $10-$12 an hour and hope they can do at least 3 figures decently per hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely a good place to start. If you can't find someone through your local shops which carry minis, shipping can really be quite cheap given how light and small miniatures are. A whole bunch can fit in a small flat rate box / padded mailer which ships nationwide for only ~$5.50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK. If I go the shipping route which sounds reasonable, should I post my request under one of the following "New User Questions", "General Gaming", "Discussing Retailers", "Do It Yourself", "Board Game Art", forums or add a new thread to this forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:

OK. If I go the shipping route which sounds reasonable, should I post my request under one of the following "New User Questions", "General Gaming", "Discussing Retailers", "Do It Yourself", "Board Game Art", forums or add a new thread to this forum?

If you decide to go that route I'd start by perusing already existing threads on the subject. You'll likely find a number of recommendations and offers scattered throughout:

Google BGG Search for "Miniature Painting Service"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.