Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules for 4-player games, I was wondering about the rule that tells you to determine the "one true winner" from the players on the winning team. Does this actually work? It seems like it might add an interesting semi-cooperative aspect to the game, which I like the idea of. On the other hand, I'm aware that having semi-cooperative rules like this in games can often just not work at all, and the game just descends into interminable squabbling about not allowing the game to end because one player can't win, or worse: one player throwing the game for their team because they, personally, can't win.

So which is it for WotR? Does the semi-coop aspect actually work or should I just ignore it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would ignore it. I have played teams and we just count the team as winning. With very competitive people you could have two players on the team playing against each other by taking the dice the other player needs and so on. It is simpler and smoother IMO to play and win (or lose) as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the minority as a fan of multiplayer WotR, but I am not a fan of determining a sole winner on a team. The team v. team aspect of multiplayer WotR is what makes it fun for me, and still leaves room for plenty of squabbling about strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played 2p, but if you're going to play a lot of 4p, it might be interesting to throw in the individual victory conditions once in a while just to see how it influences the game and the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The individual Victory conditions arent as exciting as they sound. They complicate the Game to a degree which is not needed. There is usually enough to discuss even without being competitively (Saruman is ready to Attack and Sauron too but you only have one Army/Character Dice ) . I also enjoy War of the Ring with more than 2 but really dislike the conditions. So we usually play with team vs team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.