PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"...the walls were alive with nauseous sound — the verminous slithering of ravenous, gigantic rats."

Here is a variant faction that makes use of the anthropomorphic rat miniatures from the board game Myth.

(image by Mathis Lurtz)

Comments and suggestions are welcome! This is a work in progress, but I will update this first post as it is revised.

RATS IN THE WALLS
(faction)

Unique Ability: Tunnel (Ongoing): After taking an Action, you may place one of your six Tunnel tokens from your pool into an Area where you have a Unit. All Areas with Tunnel tokens are considered adjacent for your Units.

Set-up: Six Cultists and a Gate in any unoccupied Area. Revised 31 Mar 2016

Monsters:

Rat-Thing (6). Cost 1, Combat 1.

(image by Mathis Lurtz)

Fiend-born Rat (2). Cost 2, Combat 2.

(image by Mathis Lurtz)

Great Old Ones:

Krauncha. Cost 4, Combat 4.
- How to Awaken Krauncha: Must have a controlled Gate at which he appears.
- Mountain (Post-Battle): Krauncha may ignore Pain results.

(image by Mathis Lurtz)

Atys. Cost 6, Combat equals # of your monsters and Great Old Ones on the map.
- How to Awaken Atys: Must have the Unholy Warren at which he appears.
- Fertility Rites (Unlimited): While Atys is in play, Summon Monster is an Unlimited Action for you. In addition, you may Summon Monsters to the Area where Atys is, even if you do not control a Gate there.

(image by Mathis Lurtz)

Other Items in Pool:

- Tunnel tokens (6)
- Unholy Warren (Gate)

(image by Robert Kingery)

Requirements:

- As an Action, eliminate 2 of your Cultists.
- Pain or Kill an enemy Unit.
- Six Tunnel tokens exist on the map.
- Take this spellbook at any time. Draw one Elder Sign per enemy faction, look at them, and give one to each other player. Revised 8 Oct 2015
- One or more players have 15 Doom.
- Awaken Atys.

Spellbooks:

- Chronicle of Exham Priory (Ongoing) All Gates on the map are considered Tunnel tokens for your Units.
- Fever (Post-Battle) Enemy Cultists Pained by your Units are Fevered. During the Gather Power Phase, you may Sacrifice any or all Fevered Cultists to gain 1 Power each, as if you had Captured them. A Fevered Cultist that is removed from play for any reason (e.g. Killed, Captured, Sacrificed, Devoured) is no longer Fevered.
- Lotus of Ganesha (Action: Cost 2) Remove one gate or token in an Area where you have a Monster or Great Old One.
- Mysteries of Samothrace (Post-Battle) You may convert Miss results you rolled into Pain results, and Pain results into Kill results, at the cost of 1 Power per result converted.
- Scourge of Hamlin (Ongoing) While you have 2 or more Rat-Things in an Area, no Unit of another player may control a Gate there. Revised 31 Mar 2016
- Unholy Warren (Ongoing) Replace one of your controlled Gates with the Unholy Warren, which is considered both a controlled Gate for your faction and a Tunnel token. Units of other factions may never control the Unholy Warren. Revised 31 Mar 2016

FAQ:

- Fevered: You may find it helpful to lay Fevered Cultists on their side to denote this status. All types of Cultists, including High Priests, are susceptible to becoming Fevered.
- Lotus of Ganesha: This power can remove any non-Unit token that was not on that space at the beginning of the game. Examples include Gates, Glaciers, Desecration tokens, Filth tokens, Web tokens, etc. It cannot be used to remove permanent board effects or icons printed on the game board itself. Removed tokens are returned to the owning player, if any, as if they have not yet been played.
- Scourge of Hamlin: Whenever two or more of your Rat-Things are in an Area with a Gate controlled by another player's Unit, the controlling Unit must immediately abandon the Gate. Revised 31 Mar 2016
- Tunnel: Tunnel glyphs on the Dreamlands map count as Tunnel tokens for purposes of this power.

Faction card:

Spellbooks:
To be Revised
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ideas so far, but I think a few of the Spellbooks are too strong. Chronicle, Mysteries, and Scourge in particular are too good. Mysteries is a better version of Channel Power. Chronicle is good, but maybe not too over the line. Scourge is way too good, especially with Chronicle. Imagine this player having the most power left at the end of the round, he'd just move (adjacent to all gates) and spread out to take them way too easily.

On the other hand, Lotus is too expensive/situational to really do much. I don't really see it ever being used.

I like the idea of the faction, and I love the Myth minis, but I think reigning those spell books in will really do some awesome work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Kolby. My knee-jerk reaction with anything in CW is that all the powers seem OP at first. I'll be interested to see if others agree with your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I was originaly put off on myth due to the cartoony art on ks... the minis look great.

Faction looks good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept of Fever but it sounds particularly nasty and possibly op. You'd be able to go in with Krauncha or Atys and nearly decimate their entire cultist pool, even if all 6 were on one area, with a single combat. Perhaps there can be a limit of sacrificing 1 or 2 max per round?

That Scourge of Hamlin is an interesting concept :O Would you be able to use an unlimited action to put one of your cultists on immediately, you think? Move the rat thing in, immediately capture the gate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fyxsius wrote:
I like the concept of Fever but it sounds particularly nasty and possibly op. You'd be able to go in with Krauncha or Atys and nearly decimate their entire cultist pool, even if all 6 were on one area, with a single combat. Perhaps there can be a limit of sacrificing 1 or 2 max per round?

I'm not yet convinced its OP, since it leaves the cultists active on the map (until next turn anyway) and my experience has been that there are very few mass-painings of cultists in games (they tend to be kill-fodder). That said, a potential downgrade for this power could be "Enemy Cultists Killed by your Units are Pained and Fevered instead."

Fyxsius wrote:
That Scourge of Hamlin is an interesting concept :O Would you be able to use an unlimited action to put one of your cultists on immediately, you think? Move the rat thing in, immediately capture the gate?

I should think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Kolby's points, particularly about the faction combining extreme mobility with gate-denial, plus efficient monsters on top of that. In addition, there's a few other issues:

• Krauncha is a Great Old One, but Awakening him is not one of the spellbook requirements. This is unlike every other Great Old One.
• Eliminating two cultists duplicates a spellbook requirement from Black Goat, which feels inelegant.
• The take-at-any-time spellbook is uninteresting. It doesn't cost an action, and the effect doesn't vary over the course of the game. The only possible reason not to do it straight away is the minuscule advantage of your opponents not yet knowing the value of the Elder Sign they will have. Note that similar spellbooks like Yellow Sign's 3 Doom one or Windwalker's involve interesting choices as to when to use them, so you should strive for something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
• Krauncha is a Great Old One, but Awakening him is not one of the spellbook requirements. This is unlike every other Great Old One.
• Eliminating two cultists duplicates a spellbook requirement from Black Goat, which feels inelegant.

Yeah, I should probably replace the -2 cultist requirement with Awaken Krauncha, though that seems inordinately easy.

Santiago wrote:
• The take-at-any-time spellbook is uninteresting. It doesn't cost an action, and the effect doesn't vary over the course of the game. The only possible reason not to do it straight away is the minuscule advantage of your opponents not yet knowing the value of the Elder Sign they will have. Note that similar spellbooks like Yellow Sign's 3 Doom one or Windwalker's involve interesting choices as to when to use them, so you should strive for something similar.

Ok, what about "Take this spellbook at any time. Draw one Elder Sign per enemy faction, look at them, and give one to each other player." (I'd rather not make it cost an Action, as its already painful.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding "extreme mobility," I propose that the Tunnel ability, even with the Chronicle spellbook unlocked, is still less powerful than Crawling Chaos' Flight ability. Right out of the gate (no pun intended), CC's units will generally be able to reach more than half the Areas on the board with one move.

Regarding "gate denial", if general consensus is that the Scourge spellbook seems too powerful, I might be amenable to making the monsters either most costly or less powerful as a counter-balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Images for the faction card and spellbooks have been added to the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scourge and Unholy Warren spellbooks have been revised based on playtest data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dierks
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the faction card has an error - it lists Fiend-born Rats (6). According to your write-up, it should be (2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mallachain wrote:
I noticed that the faction card has an error - it lists Fiend-born Rats (6). According to your write-up, it should be (2).

Corrected. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.